Icon vs Deaver follow-up

Icon Multi Rate or Deaver

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
since its on topic for the thread, we do have Icons for the gen 2 on sale here at Hammer Performance.

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have icons and icon perch collars. Springs are set to option 2 and I still have a decent amount of rake with roof Tent, Leitner rack, spare tire on bed about 300-400 pounds. And my collars are at max height. Plan to add longer shackles to drop the rear and maybe gain some up front with new coilovers. Wheel hop is gone but it has shown up once or twice if tires want to skip a bit. No noise issues, or comfort issues. Shocks are the issue now

Kaled

Reaction score
I had Deavers +2 for 7 yrs now and I loved them , I’m thinking to replace them with icon springs or Deaver +3 , why ? Becuase I have the RXT shock in the rear I don’t know if deavers will work with that off-road wise ?

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had Deavers +2 for 7 yrs now and I loved them , I’m thinking to replace them with icon springs or Deaver +3 , why ? Becuase I have the RXT shock in the rear I don’t know if deavers will work with that off-road wise ?
Theyll work.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took Icons off my truck that were worn out and W'ed in only 2.5yrs/40k miles on "option 1". I replaced them deaver +3HD's on and the truck rides better than the Icon's ever did. Will always recommend deaver.

Also a big thanks to @Rick at FMS for helping me get into the new set of Deavers. He even let me do a will call pick up at Deaver to save the shipping costs.

Last edited:

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so Ive ran both on my gen 2, heres my thoughts.

For starters anyone who knows me knows I absolutely beat my trucks. 2019 with Fox Race Series live valves. Ive ran both Icons on stage 2 and Deaver +3HD. Ive always had a consistent 300-500LBs in the bed 24/7/365. Chase rack, two full size spares, pro eagle, two gas cans, tools, etc.

At 800 miles we slapped on the Icons on stage 2 knowing how much weight id have in the bed. They did beautifully and I wouldnt expect anything else. They were stiff, yes but the weight in the bed helped and the way I use the truck the stiffness was a benefit. I did two a few times and it did it like a charm. Going from an empty bed to 400lbs sagged the leafs about 3/4”.

At 2years/17k miles I replaced my leafs. Why? Well like I said I abuse my truck. Probably 10-12 of those 17k miles were off road. Two texas raptor runs, countless local events, etc. im sure I average jumping my trucks a few thousand times a year. Thatd put wear on any suspension so id call 17k miles really impressive with absolutely no removal of weight in the bed.

I swapped over to Deavers when I rebuilt my suspension. No reason, just had em at the shop. Id of happily done Icons again.

The deavers were great. Also. Didnt wear em out before I sold the truck but they rode as well as the Icons. I maybe sat 1/4” lower with the same set up in the bed on deavers compared to Icons. Both ran very very similar. I never took my Icons off setting 2.

Icon pros:
Price
Lower freight
Coated individually before assembly
Modular to change if you want to

Deaver pros:
Longer more known name in springs
More height/duty options
More options for aftermarket traction bars

We carry both at Hammer Performance. Id be happy to quote you for either or both and see which fits best for you.

@Johnny@Apollo-Optics

@Nick@Apollo-Optics

I see the Icons on the Apollo Optics site, but where is Hammer Performance located? The only Hammer Performance I can find is a Harley shop in Idaho.

I just rolled over 100K miles on my ‘18 Jenny and my suspension needs a mild refresh… I like the stock(ish) ride and it suits my needs well, so just having the stock factory shocks rebuilt, plus R&R any worn items with better aftermarket bits as I go.

I already have 1.5” RPG leveling collars up front, but it’s time to do the rear springs too. Again, not looking for anything much beyond stock for this truck… Deaver +2 HDs or maybe the Icons are calling my name. I like the price of the Icons a lot better TBH…at least for my needs.

I’m up here in the hills between San Antonio and Austin, but can make the drive to Houston if y’all do one-day installs…scheduled well in advance of course.

Will call in a bit after I finish working on my son’s truck.

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@Johnny@Apollo-Optics

@Nick@Apollo-Optics

I see the Icons on the Apollo Optics site, but where is Hammer Performance located? The only Hammer Performance I can find is a Harley shop in Idaho.

I just rolled over 100K miles on my ‘18 Jenny and my suspension needs a mild refresh… I like the stock(ish) ride and it suits my needs well, so just having the stock factory shocks rebuilt, plus R&R any worn items with better aftermarket bits as I go.

I already have 1.5” RPG leveling collars up front, but it’s time to do the rear springs too. Again, not looking for anything much beyond stock for this truck… Deaver +2 HDs or maybe the Icons are calling my name. I like the price of the Icons a lot better TBH…at least for my needs.

I’m up here in the hills between San Antonio and Austin, but can make the drive to Houston if y’all do one-day installs…scheduled well in advance of course.

Will call in a bit after I finish working on my son’s truck.
Hammer is not affiliated with Apollo Optics. @Johnny@Apollo-Optics used to work over there before joining our team, so that's an older post from him. At this time, we do not offer installation here in Houston, but Johnny is up in San Antonio and I'm sure he'll chime in shortly with a shop that he can recommend to do the work. We'll glad ship the Icon springs, hardware, and any other components you may need directly to your door for free though.