I need some help here! Nissan GT-R VS Raptor??!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liqinwei26

Reaction score
Hi guys, I had a car conversation with my friend the other day, and we were talking about gas price these days, MPG and performance data from different engine and everything.

One question he asked me was that "your Raptor has a 6.2 big stomach engine, why is it only producing 411 HP and 434 TQ? The nissan GTR has a 3.8 twin turbo engine, and it can produce 545 HP and 463 TQ, so from this perspective, your Raptor has a big stomach but not very good performance data. Why is that?"

Then he had another following question:"what if we have a stock raptor and a raptor with nissan GTR's engine, and do a drag race or towing competition. which raptor will win???"

I did not know how to answer him, that's why I need to ask for some help here guys, hopefully I can get some legit answers here!!

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 6.2L is built to have decent power, the ability to tow/haul, and is in a truck that weighs over 5000 pounds. For this purpose, it was designed as a 2V motor instead of a 3V or 4V motor. Super high HP/TQ numbers were not ideal. But pulling power and longevity were. It's an all-purpose motor.

The little motor pushing big numbers in that GTR is purpose-built to make that lightweight car (AND NO ADDITIONAL WEIGHT) move as fast as possible.

Just my thoughts. I'll let the other guys who know more about engines step in.

robbys3m3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh..i own both but never considered this....I'm sure there is a technical reason the gtr engine wouldn't be a good fit, but I'm sure the gtr tranny would be a mess in a truck that big.

Silnus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind the Raptor's compression ratio is 9.8:1. Which is quite low for a NA engine these days. If it were to be brought up to say 11:1 compression ratio, it would pick up in the neighborhood of 15-20 WHEEL hp and 35wtq. Advantages of using a low compression ratio is the ability to run 87 octane fuel, and perhaps the longevity of the bottom end. Not trying to get too in depth here, but milling these heads to pick up a full point of compression, and add some timing would really wake the truck up, and I'm willing to bet some better MPG. Back to your argument, he has a GTR purpose built for the track, you have a Raptor, purpose built for the dirt. Why is there even a comparison going on? If I were going to swap any motor into the Raptor it would be an 03/04 Cobra platform, or an LSX. You dont even want to know what the powerplant for a GTR would cost you.

GoMuscles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at least 20%... probably more like 25% drive train loss due to the tranny & suspension with 35's. not to mention the white elephant in the room = ( The GTR is TURBO CHARGED. )
Slap 8lbs of boost on the 6.2 and your 600BHP or close to it.

Just another thought is the EPA standards Ford has to abide by due to the 6.2 used in the gas Superduty. As I understand it Ford has a certain carbon print they must not overstep. BC these are not small production motors they have restrictive exhausts and retarded timing that lower power but make them more eco friendly.

Last edited:

Hoffer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In an offroad vehicle you want good reliable HP and Torque.
When you push the pedal down on a big V-8 you know exactly what your getting every time.

A turbo motor varies wildly with load and rpm and while it would be fun on fast stuff, you would not want it on jumps and slower rock crawling type stuff.

The exception would be on a World Rally car. Those guys are just badass

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151736236289362&set=vb.808839361&type=2&theater

OP
OP
liqinwei26

liqinwei26

Reaction score
The 6.2L is built to have decent power, the ability to tow/haul, and is in a truck that weighs over 5000 pounds. For this purpose, it was designed as a 2V motor instead of a 3V or 4V motor. Super high HP/TQ numbers were not ideal. But pulling power and longevity were. It's an all-purpose motor.

The little motor pushing big numbers in that GTR is purpose-built to make that lightweight car (AND NO ADDITIONAL WEIGHT) move as fast as possible.

Just my thoughts. I'll let the other guys who know more about engines step in.

Thanks for your effort! Yes, I understand this point, but the GT-R has even a higher TQ than Raptor? so can we say GT-R can tow more? This is where I start comfusing...

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Huh..i own both but never considered this....I'm sure there is a technical reason the gtr engine wouldn't be a good fit, but I'm sure the gtr tranny would be a mess in a truck that big.

thanks for your effort here and another thread regarding of my drone issue! I am just wondering if we hold everything constant(I mean transmission) then the only variable is engine, what kind of result are we going to get?

BTW, so jealous that you can own Raptor and GT-R at the same time! I own Raptor now, next goal: GT-R! probably have to save up for at least another two or three years from now...:Insane:

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Keep in mind the Raptor's compression ratio is 9.8:1. Which is quite low for a NA engine these days. If it were to be brought up to say 11:1 compression ratio, it would pick up in the neighborhood of 15-20 WHEEL hp and 35wtq. Advantages of using a low compression ratio is the ability to run 87 octane fuel, and perhaps the longevity of the bottom end. Not trying to get too in depth here, but milling these heads to pick up a full point of compression, and add some timing would really wake the truck up, and I'm willing to bet some better MPG. Back to your argument, he has a GTR purpose built for the track, you have a Raptor, purpose built for the dirt. Why is there even a comparison going on? If I were going to swap any motor into the Raptor it would be an 03/04 Cobra platform, or an LSX. You dont even want to know what the powerplant for a GTR would cost you.

LOL, good point here! we were just curious about the result here since both of these two cars are considered as performance vehicles, so for the performance perspective, we were trying to find out which one is better with the performance data and fuel consumption

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

at least 20%... probably more like 25% drive train loss due to the tranny & suspension with 35's. not to mention the white elephant in the room = ( The GTR is TURBO CHARGED. )
Slap 8lbs of boost on the 6.2 and your 600BHP or close to it.

Just another thought is the EPA standards Ford has to abide by due to the 6.2 used in the gas Superduty. As I understand it Ford has a certain carbon print they must not overstep. BC these are not small production motors they have restrictive exhausts and retarded timing that lower power but make them more eco friendly.

thats what i thought, if we add two turbos, raptor's engine will def have more hp and tq. but with a 6.2 and twin turbo, it will def consume more fuel as well, i would say like a 7.2L or so. the power to fuel(or fuel to power ratio, whatever it calls) ratio is still higher than GT-R. If we put transimission and built purpose on the side, just talk about the performance data, is the GT-R engine is a better engine? I am not trying to argue that GT-R is better, I am def on the raptor side cause I own it. But I just want to find a persuasive reason to convince my friend that our raptors are better car than his GT-R!!
thats why I want your guys' help. Thanks for your effort here tho!

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well fuel consumption would probably be moot. Because of the extra weight, wind resistance, rolling resistance, etc., you'd constantly be in boost, drastically lowering economy.

OP
OP
liqinwei26

liqinwei26

Reaction score
In an offroad vehicle you want good reliable HP and Torque.
When you push the pedal down on a big V-8 you know exactly what your getting every time.

A turbo motor varies wildly with load and rpm and while it would be fun on fast stuff, you would not want it on jumps and slower rock crawling type stuff.

The exception would be on a World Rally car. Those guys are just badass

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151736236289362&set=vb.808839361&type=2&theater

agreed, WRC is badass thing. but if we put built purpose and transimission on the side, we just talk about engines in these two cars here. which one is better? I want to persuade my friend that our raptor is better, but I just cannot find a good point to persuade him.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Well fuel consumption would probably be moot. Because of the extra weight, wind resistance, rolling resistance, etc., you'd constantly be in boost, drastically lowering economy.

so you are suggesting that the raptor with GT-R engine will have a horrible MPG, maybe even lower than stock raptor?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
agreed, WRC is badass thing. but if we put built purpose and transimission on the side, we just talk about engines in these two cars here. which one is better? I want to persuade my friend that our raptor is better, but I just cannot find a good point to persuade him.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

so you are suggesting that the raptor with GT-R engine will have a horrible MPG, maybe even lower than stock raptor?

You can't compare engines without looking at their purpose.

Yes, because BOOST means more air which means more fuel.

You can't compare a Raptor and a GT-R. It's apples and oranges. Better yet, let's compare it to guns. You can have a Kimber 1911. Absolutely badass gun. Well built .45 caliber. Big gun, big bullet. Then look at a Sig Sauer P238. Absolutely badass gun. Well built .380 automatic caliber. Small gun, small bullet. Both do the exact same job and both do it very well. But they are built for different purposes. One is for shooting a big caliber, hard and accurate. The other is for easy concealment and being quick to fire. Great guns, totally different purposes.