I did cam phasers in my garage, and you can too!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheClaw

Reaction score
Thanks to your write up I’m knee deep into my cam phaser repair. Was installing the updated phasers when I noticed the cause of the rattle initially.

The pin that goes in the notch completely sheered off. Causing damage the the cam shaft notch.

Looks like I need new cams. I’m curious if there’s any other further damage as I heard a snapping noose in the rear while turning the cams. Possible valve spring?

And aftermarket recommendations if needing replacement? If it can happen this time it can happen again if I’m pushing more power

Attachments

• IMG_5950.jpeg
    IMG_5950.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5948.jpeg
    IMG_5948.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5946.jpeg
    IMG_5946.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5947.jpeg
    IMG_5947.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 12

vk35

Reaction score
I also just experienced a cam phaser rattle. Currently at the dealer luckily under warranty. They said the HL3Z phaser that was installed in 2021 as part of cam
Phaser replacement on my truck is old problematic phaser. ML3Z is the latest that supposedly solves the issue. Baffles me that here were are in 2024 still talking about it.

Reaction score
I also just experienced a cam phaser rattle. Currently at the dealer luckily under warranty. They said the HL3Z phaser that was installed in 2021 as part of cam
Phaser replacement on my truck is old problematic phaser. ML3Z is the latest that supposedly solves the issue. Baffles me that here were are in 2024 still talking about it.
In the Harley world, the 2017 touring oil pumps were causing some bikes to sump and it took 4 or 5 revisions to finally get it put to rest in the 2020 MY.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my phasers replaced 3X under warranty (second time was just one bank), but just got “the cold start rattle” again a couple days ago near the end of a 4K mile road trip… 12K miles out of warranty now though.

Gonna go back and see what version Ford used on the third set of phasers put in last year.

Between this, and the PDK transmission in my track car, the Winter projects are really starting to stack up! LoL

vk35

Reaction score
Had my phasers replaced 3X under warranty (second time was just one bank), but just got “the cold start rattle” again a couple days ago near the end of a 4K mile road trip… 12K miles out of warranty now though.

Gonna go back and see what version Ford used on the third set of phasers put in last year.

Between this, and the PDK transmission in my track car, the Winter projects are really starting to stack up! LoL
Let us know, I would be curious.

Also, you may qualify for the parts warranty here if it’s been less than 2 years right?