How touchy is Ford warranty and oil type?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would 'Like' to use Shell Rotella T6 15w-40 in, well everything! I want it in my Raptor and in my Explorer ST. I feel the higher zinc content and higher viscosity will improve engine life. Ford has lowered the viscosity specification in order to improve milage ....a tad! At the cost of longevity.

When I took my Raptor into the dealership a couple months ago and asked to have the T6 I purchased put in. They asked why and I told them. They put the oil in. This last week, I took the Explorer in and the tech called and said it would void my warranty. (I think that's what he said, it may have been along the lines of "that is the wrong oil for this vehicle, what you brought is for diesel engines, you should put in the correct oil") so I said ok, put in Motocraft oil.

Do any of the Ford pundits on here know if using this oil would indeed invalidate my warranty? I tried "chatting" with Ford support and she simply said tt your dealer, we don't know tech stuff.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These engines do not need some of the additives that are in diesel oil (specifically some of the high/extreme pressure anti-wear additives), and these additives can cause issues with the catalytic converters. You should use gasoline engine oil in your (looks around) *gasoline engine*.

Last edited:

mleaky

Reaction score
From another forum on the topic of oil, someone who works in the oil industry suggested the following for Ford 3.5 EB engines:

"Mobil 1 European car formula
Pennzoil Euro
Kendall Euro

Non euro:
Any major brand full synthetic is also more than enough"

"My problems with Rotella:

1. It foams. I’m not sure if they cheaped out on the anti-foam package, or if it’s part of the JASO MA/MA2 additives in there for wet clutches. But, Rotella has a foaming issue. Which, results in a shearing issue. This has been independently lab tested. You can see the results on BITOG. But, it has a foaming issue, which results in a shearing issue.

2. It’s all marketing. It’s not really that great of an oil in its class. Actually T4 is ******* trash, especially for its price point. The blending cost for T4 is under $6 a gallon. It’s literally the absolute cheapest HDEO additive package you can buy, throw in a 200cst base stock and get 15w40."

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're over analyzing the oil type thing. Many Fords have survived to +300k miles with using the oil recommended by the manufacturer. I'd say as long as you change the oil every 5-7k miles and use the oil recommended by Ford or an equivalent, you should be fine.

If they do end up voiding your warranty, I wouldn't blame them. Their engineers spent quite a bit of time and resources to determine the optimal type of oil for the truck to operate, and then a consumer comes along and decides they know better than the engineers minus all the research and testing, and uses a different type of oil based on a hunch and ruins the engine, of course they will void the warranty.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you do not use an oil that meets the spec called for in the owner's manual, they can void your warranty.

When would that situation actually happen though?

If they put in non-spec oil at your request, and they knew it didn't meet spec- but did it anyway, who is to blame?

If you put it in, how would they know what oil you used? It's impossilbe to definitively prove what oil is in the crankcase by taking a sample of it.

You'd have to come rolling in with an crankcase full of windshield washer fluid or something rediculous for them to prove what you put in the crankcase caused an engine failure.