How touchy is Ford warranty and oil type?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would 'Like' to use Shell Rotella T6 15w-40 in, well everything! I want it in my Raptor and in my Explorer ST. I feel the higher zinc content and higher viscosity will improve engine life. Ford has lowered the viscosity specification in order to improve milage ....a tad! At the cost of longevity.

When I took my Raptor into the dealership a couple months ago and asked to have the T6 I purchased put in. They asked why and I told them. They put the oil in. This last week, I took the Explorer in and the tech called and said it would void my warranty. (I think that's what he said, it may have been along the lines of "that is the wrong oil for this vehicle, what you brought is for diesel engines, you should put in the correct oil") so I said ok, put in Motocraft oil.

Do any of the Ford pundits on here know if using this oil would indeed invalidate my warranty? I tried "chatting" with Ford support and she simply said tt your dealer, we don't know tech stuff.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These engines do not need some of the additives that are in diesel oil (specifically some of the high/extreme pressure ant-wear additives), and these additives can cause issues with the catalytic converter. You should use gasoline engine oil in your (looks around) *gasoline engine*.