Houston.... we have a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well guys..... the saga continues!
I made it all the way home from Cali to Texas and was itching to play in the truck so I got out and did some datalogging for @GooseTuned . Made one pass and sent in the log, truck felt great. Win made a revision and sent it back to me. I loaded it up and headed out. Made a hit and around 6kish rpms the truck sputtered. I let off and noticed some white smoke out the exhaust. Pulled off to the side of the road and when I stopped the truck died. Popped the hood and had coolant under the hood and the reservoir was empty. My initial though was I blew a coolant hose or something. So called my wife and she brought me some coolant that was in the garage. I poured it in while looking for a leak, poured about 3/4 a gallon and never seen a leak but also it didn't start to show in the reservoir yet. So I started looking around. I then noticed I had coolant running out from under the truck. Crawled under and found the coolant was coming out of the downpipes, the clamp on the passenger side from the downpipe to the exhaust. From the inside!! Called and spoke to Win, and he thought maybe it was the coolant feed line to the turbo. After talking, I then pulled all 6 spark plugs. The passenger bank 3 plugs were wet, the driver bank 3 plugs we just a little damp but I wouldn't say wet. So with all the plug pulled I used my flashlight and looked into cylinder 1 and I could visually see what looked like fluid so I had my wife pour some coolant into the reservoir. When she did I could visually see fluid moving inside cylinder 1. Head gasket!!!
So now the chore was getting the truck back home. My mother in law was in town and she has a 3/4 ton so we strapped the truck and drug it the 2 miles home.
Now with the truck in my drive way and still with the spark plugs out. I put a breaker bar on the crankshaft/harmonic balancer bolt and was able to turn the engine by hand. After turning motor, I then I looked inside cylinder 1 and the coolant has came up inside the cylinder. The coolant level has risen to above where the spark plugs screwed in.
So I'm hoping that everything is OK except for just a head gasket. I have order new head gaskets from RMB, new spark plugs, and new oil and filter. Just waiting for that stuff to come in so I can get it back to a shop and start tearing it down again.
When it rains it pours!

Sharpie69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys..... the saga continues!
I made it all the way home from Cali to Texas and was itching to play in the truck so I got out and did some datalogging for @GooseTuned . Made one pass and sent in the log, truck felt great. Win made a revision and sent it back to me. I loaded it up and headed out. Made a hit and around 6kish rpms the truck sputtered. I let off and noticed some white smoke out the exhaust. Pulled off to the side of the road and when I stopped the truck died. Popped the hood and had coolant under the hood and the reservoir was empty. My initial though was I blew a coolant hose or something. So called my wife and she brought me some coolant that was in the garage. I poured it in while looking for a leak, poured about 3/4 a gallon and never seen a leak but also it didn't start to show in the reservoir yet. So I started looking around. I then noticed I had coolant running out from under the truck. Crawled under and found the coolant was coming out of the downpipes, the clamp on the passenger side from the downpipe to the exhaust. From the inside!! Called and spoke to Win, and he thought maybe it was the coolant feed line to the turbo. After talking, I then pulled all 6 spark plugs. The passenger bank 3 plugs were wet, the driver bank 3 plugs we just a little damp but I wouldn't say wet. So with all the plug pulled I used my flashlight and looked into cylinder 1 and I could visually see what looked like fluid so I had my wife pour some coolant into the reservoir. When she did I could visually see fluid moving inside cylinder 1. Head gasket!!!
So now the chore was getting the truck back home. My mother in law was in town and she has a 3/4 ton so we strapped the truck and drug it the 2 miles home.
Now with the truck in my drive way and still with the spark plugs out. I put a breaker bar on the crankshaft/harmonic balancer bolt and was able to turn the engine by hand. After turning motor, I then I looked inside cylinder 1 and the coolant has came up inside the cylinder. The coolant level has risen to above where the spark plugs screwed in.
So I'm hoping that everything is OK except for just a head gasket. I have order new head gaskets from RMB, new spark plugs, and new oil and filter. Just waiting for that stuff to come in so I can get it back to a shop and start tearing it down again.
When it rains it pours!
Oh man, that sucks, sorry to read about your hard times, best of luck, I'll be watching this thread and wishing the best for you