High Speed Off Road & OEM Spare Tire Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rocks2Sand

Reaction score
Had I known, i'd sell you mine....oh well. I have a Pro Eagle mount though. I removed arch for spare since I'm not able to go as often as I used to. I prefer to have a flat floor for sliding things in and out. I just left the D rings mounted with the bed bolts. I can strap a spare down to those If I make it out to the desert.

Dang! The folks at JDS were great to deal with, also picked up the front flag mount for the Dunes! If it becomes an nuisance I'll throw a tarp of piece of cardboard over it to allow things to slide.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
Dang! The folks at JDS were great to deal with, also picked up the front flag mount for the Dunes! If it becomes an nuisance I'll throw a tarp of piece of cardboard over it to allow things to slide.
They were with me, one of my friends didn't have the same luck I did. I just may throw these up on the Garage section of the forum later. I'm still trying to "redo" my bed so it works for day to day use and can quickly be reconfigured for off-road use.

OP
OP
R

Rocks2Sand

Reaction score
i also carry a complete set with boots and everything on most trips..

needed one one time and didnt have one handy, took 3 hours to get one out there..
This is good info, I'll carry a tie rod end as well. Does 1 fit on both sides, are separate part #'s for each side?
Also do we have a forum sponsor Ford Parts Dealer? Used to have a few in the Jeep community that were very helpful with part numbers and getting orders setup right out of a thread.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is good info, I'll carry a tie rod end as well. Does 1 fit on both sides, are separate part #'s for each side?
Also do we have a forum sponsor Ford Parts Dealer? Used to have a few in the Jeep community that were very helpful with part numbers and getting orders setup right out of a thread.
inners are the same, outers are side to side.. i took the whole thing off, boot and all when i upgraded to the full RPG tie rod, but the inners are the only ones i have seen fail

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rocks2Sand

Reaction score
Do your spare tires have the keyed lock in the bumper? Mine is just a hole, but I recall seeing a lock there on other F-150's.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do your spare tires have the keyed lock in the bumper? Mine is just a hole, but I recall seeing a lock there on other F-150's.

yes, just put it back in to fill the hole after you winch the cable back in..

i used to run it underneath, unless i was going on an off road trip, but its just easier to throw it in the bed, rather than mess with the winch

slimmytimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run my truck extremely hard multiple times each week. I run it over whoops, arroyos, mountain trails, sand dunes, jumps, and most other conditions you can think of. I have only had it come loose once. That was around 5,000-10,000 miles. It only needed one or two rotations to tighten it back up. I have rubbed the spare on the ground a few times going off of banks in arroyos. I run a B&W hitch and it usually drags before anything else. The front wheels have been able to pull it off of everything so far.

It really sucks to change flat tires when one of the rears blows out, or just goes flat if your spare is stuck under the truck. I have multiple jacks, but I carry a fairly compact off road bottle jack. It has multiple extensions and various wide bases to accommodate vehicles like Raptors with long suspension travel. I also carry a couple off pieces of plywood to spread the load in nasty conditions. After changing many tires, I’ve learned to throw an extra spare in the bed if I’m over 30 minutes away from my extras. I only pull the bottom spare out if I’m getting really wild and I want to lose weight.

Send it!

OP
OP
R

Rocks2Sand

Reaction score
yes, just put it back in to fill the hole after you winch the cable back in..

i used to run it underneath, unless i was going on an off road trip, but its just easier to throw it in the bed, rather than mess with the winch
Dang! Mine just has a hole with a plastic plug... No keyed lock or anything....