Spare tires/wheels when off trail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just stack the second tire on top of the layed down one and extend the ratchet straps.. I have a large gear box that fits behind the tires.. 20230512_174659.jpg

and here is my old setup that was a bit better but didn't have the shock mounts...

20220424_180006.jpg

OP
OP
RaptorMach3p5

RaptorMach3p5

Reaction score
@HORN HIGH ACES I have the same issue with my tires sliding around in my RPG rack. Have you tried letting some air out of the spares? Maybe the tie down straps will "bite" better. Btw I like how you tied down the gas cans with bungee cords. Wish I thought of that before purchasing a pair of Alpines.

@RaptorMach3p5 which oem wheels are you using?
@Hard R ‘23 37pp

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could get away with an additional spare in the bed and leaving the stock spare where it’s at. It’s not ideal to get to that spare off road a lot of times though. It’s also not as likely to shred 2 tires at once, so if you did have to use the tire in the bed, you could get to a safe spot, load the bum tire underneath and swap the good spare to the bed. You don’t always need the 2 tire bed rack.
this is what i do. one in the bed, one in oem location. it allows me to keep a bed cover so the rest of the stuff can remain covered/protected.

RiskTkr

Reaction score
If this is a dumb question... My apologies.

So I just got a tire rack that holds to tires, I have 2 stock rims lying around and I was wondering if in the case of a blow out I can put the stock rim on the truck with the aftermarket rims and be fine. They are the same offset etc. Am I able to drive like this for a while without issues or is this a no no?

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If this is a dumb question... My apologies.

So I just got a tire rack that holds to tires, I have 2 stock rims lying around and I was wondering if in the case of a blow out I can put the stock rim on the truck with the aftermarket rims and be fine. They are the same offset etc. Am I able to drive like this for a while without issues or is this a no no?
All things being equal, of course you can. Think about vehicles with the small doughnut for a spare. They’re fine driving around on that small spare until the original wheel/tire is back in place. In your case, you essentially have two full size spares. If a blowout ever happens, hell…replace two of them so it looks like you meant to do it. Lol