Having Trouble Deciding Between Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Gen 2 but it took me a year to wait for companies to make an exhaust.

I would never have bought the Gen 1 because its outdated. And the only reason why I got the Gen 2 is because they finally came out with a great exhaust.

I absolutely love how the R34 GTR looks, but its outdated as heck so I will never owe one. Heck, soon as my laptop starts getting slow, *trash*. Hence why I will always own Macbooks.

Long story short, you can wrap a damn Gen 2 and we have awesome exhaust now.
I love my 13 model raptor but have done a crap load of upgrades to every aspect of it including electronics. Replaced the entire system for about $1k only to get Apple CarPlay. Was it worth it? Not really lol but now I have Apple CarPlay. Absolutely love my tuxedo black supercrew. Close to 600hp with 2.9 whipple but still get 14mpg on the highway. The sound it makes with that 6.2 and stage 2 cams from Livernois is intoxicating. Plus I like that the older trucks look very different to an F150 than the new raptors. I'm talking about the front end of course. In the end really it's all personal preference. Gen 1 guys will give you reasons to buy a Gen 1 while Gen2 Guys will do the same. Gotta make a list of your non negotiables so you don't regret your buy later. If sound note is important to you (it is to me) then get the truck you think sounds the best and never look back. Both trucks are Hella capable and can be modified in all sorts of ways otherwise. My 2 cents on this topic.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You rt on alot of things Ford Tech one. However the 6.2 has always been just maintain, turn the key and go. No cam phaser issues and the other stuff I see posted on here all the time. The 6.2 is in Super Dutys as well and I personally know a few of em with Hard Brutal 300 some thousand miles in construction sites and no problems at all. As far as power output. It all depends on how much money someone wants to spend and can make any engine do what ever ya want. Over all the 6.2L doesn't need to work as hard as smaller turbo engines. That brings the reliability up
Nobody is saying the 6.2 isn't reliable, it's a great engine for fleet use in class 2B trucks. However, it's still just an iron block commercial/fleet engine, and has no place in any modern high performance application, especially not one that costs what a Raptor does. As far as Heavy Duty applications, 6.2 wasn't used in anything above F-350; it doesn't have enough torque. Hence why the ancient 6.8 V10 was the only option until the new 7.3 was made available.

As far as "working hard", that is not an industry measurement. Every engine is designed for it's application; if it can't meet design intent then it's not produced. I suggest reading "Iron Fist, Lead Foot" by Frank Moriarty; it offers great insight into OE engineering requirements.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for me and many others. The 6.2L is a GREAT RAPTOR ENGINE. Produces plenty of power as is and very easy to add more, easy to work on, and Extremely Reliable. In all my experiences as a life long mechanic the more techy it gets the less Reliable it gets. I see it in Aviation, Dirt Bikes, and vehicles.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’re making the baseless assumption that components related to the turbocharger system are somehow more failure prone than other components. Turbochargers have been around for over 100 years, they are not some new unproven technology despite the fear mongering that you like to spread.

And no, there are not “53 pipes/joints” in the charge air cooler system; you’re making a fool of yourself with your complete lack of knowledge. They fact that you make the claim that “they’re all going to leak” is even more comical.

As far as cylinder pressures, the G2 3.5 GTDI was engineered for forced induction from the beginning. There is no NA version. They didn’t just slap 2 turbos on the way people slap superchargers on the 6.2.

Both the 3.5 and 6.2 are OHC engines with VCT, the only difference is the 3.5 has an additional cam on each bank. The 6.2’s intake manifold is more complex, as it features intake manifold runner control with 2 vacuum actuators and 2 position sensors.

Making the broad claim that one engine is more reliable than another based simply on part count is not only inaccurate, but just plain ignorant.
That's some funny shyt there, I mean that in a good way, makes me have a good laugh.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Get the gen 2, it's just better, quicker and more fun to drive. We have both at the house right now, and I can say for a fact the gen 1 does nothing better than the gen 2, other than not cost as much. To me, the gen 2 does not feel like a truck at all, the gen 1 is all truck. But the gen 2 does truck stuff better. Lie-o-meter, gen 2 says 16 mpg, gen 1 says 11 mpg.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love my 13 model raptor but have done a crap load of upgrades to every aspect of it including electronics. Replaced the entire system for about $1k only to get Apple CarPlay. Was it worth it? Not really lol but now I have Apple CarPlay. Absolutely love my tuxedo black supercrew. Close to 600hp with 2.9 whipple but still get 14mpg on the highway. The sound it makes with that 6.2 and stage 2 cams from Livernois is intoxicating. Plus I like that the older trucks look very different to an F150 than the new raptors. I'm talking about the front end of course. In the end really it's all personal preference. Gen 1 guys will give you reasons to buy a Gen 1 while Gen2 Guys will do the same. Gotta make a list of your non negotiables so you don't regret your buy later. If sound note is important to you (it is to me) then get the truck you think sounds the best and never look back. Both trucks are Hella capable and can be modified in all sorts of ways otherwise. My 2 cents on this topic.

Video clip of said...everything.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get the gen 2, it's just better, quicker and more fun to drive. We have both at the house right now, and I can say for a fact the gen 1 does nothing better than the gen 2, other than not cost as much. To me, the gen 2 does not feel like a truck at all, the gen 1 is all truck. But the gen 2 does truck stuff better. Lie-o-meter, gen 2 says 16 mpg, gen 1 says 11 mpg.
If you’re only getting 11 on your Gen 1, it has issues, is all I’m saying.

Beastalo

Reaction score
Yea, they really ”dumped on” it by going to a more powerful, more efficient, and lighter engine :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gen 2 exceeds every standard that the Gen 1 set, period.
I'm sorry I can't hear you over the fake engine noise being pumped in to the cab.....to be fair I'm no mechanic and you're probably right on, but EricM has some good points.