Having Trouble Deciding Between Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GEN 1 hands down. It's the truck that started it all. Everyone is chasing the standard that FORD set (then dumped on by getting rid of 6.2 engine). GEN 1, supercharge it and have fun.
Yea, they really ”dumped on” it by going to a more powerful, more efficient, and lighter engine :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gen 2 exceeds every standard that the Gen 1 set, period.

KANRAPTORBB

Reaction score
If it was me, I would say you buy what you want. A Gen 1 with your dream color. You can get HID headlights for it and everything else. The only thing is the SYNC you can not upgrade but if it is your dream color, then get a Gen 1 with another color and wrap it your dream color. I think the Gen 1 is a great truck and I love mine. However, I will be getting a Gen 2 in the near future because I do like them as well. 6.2 is a great motor.

OP
OP
J

jvivlemore

Reaction score
You can finance a ten-year-old car? Amazing. Banks must be desperate.

Yes but credit unions are much stricter (has to be near NADA or below and under a certain odometer reading for example) and it isn't a traditional auto loan. It's a regular signature type loan. The rate is also a bit higher than say a 2017 or newer vehicle auto loan. Most traditional auto lenders and credit unions won't finance a vehicle 10 years or older. In the case of a Raptor (buying right now) I can only finance 2011 or newer to get the better auto loan rate. There are also specialty lenders who do even older vehicles but the Raptor isn't considered a collector car. Most people don't have $35K laying around to pay cash for a truck. I have a decent portion of that but not all of it so need to get a loan for the remaining amount. So yes you can finance a 10 year old car but the rate won't be as good as vehicle under 10 years old.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Based on what data? You’re making assumptions without any information to back it up.
No turbos. No turbo oil lines. No turbo coolant lines. No intercooler and the 53 pipes/joints that will all eventually leak. Lower cylinder pressures (BY FAR), simpler valve train and timing components, and a much simpler fuel system. Far less computers, modules and wiring as well.

Conversely, please give me any reason at all that you think a Gen 1 would ever be less reliable than a Gen 2.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wasn’t over 70 except down hill and I won’t use cruise control ever, that’s a gas mileage killer. I also run 44psi when travelling on the highway, you would lose 2-3 mph running 35psi or lower.
I have had 3 Gen 1's and have never averaged anywhere close to what you get, thats impressive!
Yes I can do a reset while underway and see bigger numbers, but once left alone for a day of driving the Li-O-meter drops back to 12.7-13.5 mpg. Hand Calculated its usually right on the high edge of 12 close to 13
Are you doing the conversion based off a US Gallon or Canadian Gallon ?