Having Trouble Deciding Between Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I average 14.5 going back and forth to work. My best was going from CT to Ocean City MD and got 18.8 traffic was very light and no hills average spead was 70 mph. All depends on traffic for me. On my Gen1 I also get 16 to 17 on going to one of my MX tracks its some highway and mostly back roads for an an hr drive and I currently have 171,000 miles in it

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hoping to get some help from the community on a dilemma I'm facing... I know this topic has (in general) been beaten to death but wanted to add some personal thoughts and opinions to it to see if someone could help me make a decision already! I'm so paranoid about making the wrong one that I'm still not driving a Raptor.

A 2011 Molten Orange Gen 1 with the 6.2L is my dream truck and has been since 2010. I recieved pre-approvals from my credit unions earlier this month and immediately started shopping (both private party and dealerships). I've found some great deals on Gen 1's that weren't Molten Orange and never seemed to pull the trigger due to the price and/or second guessing if I would regret buying 'that' one due to the COLOR (I know, it's weird).

To further complicate things I came across a super clean 2018 Gen 2 (Ruby Red) for only $45K with 87k miles last week. I waited a week to make up my mind and it sold the day I went to look at it. They had also sold a 2017 with similar miles for $47K the week before. According to a GM at a local dealership that I know the wholesale price for a 2018 Gen 2 with about 80K is around $45K according to their realtime system so they are clearly dropping in value. This dealership sat on both of these over 60 days and then dropped them to basically wholesale just to get rid of them.

My Dilemma - I wasn't even thinking about a Gen 2 a couple weeks ago but now that I've seen these prices I wonder should I be looking at a Gen 2 instead? Do I purchase a Gen 1 now or wait and consider both with a Gen 2 into the mix in 6-12 months when I have more of a down payment. Is a Gen worth the extra cost? Would I regret not having a Gen 1 exhaust note?

I went to drive a Gen 1 and Gen 2 back to back yesterday (something I hadn't done before). My thoughts below:

Gen 1 Positives:
- 2011 Molten Orange 6.2L (Dream Color)
- The exhaust note
- $30K gets me a 2011 w/ 90-100K from what I'm seeing in the current market
- Basically bulletproof

Gen 1 Negatives:
- Dated Interior (can't upgrade to SYNC3, etc on 2012 or older)
- On that note Molten Orange isn't available on 2013-2014 model years.
- Unless I buy Molten Orange I'm worried I'd regret not having that color. Probably be happy with Red or Blue though. Maybe white.
- 10 years old so credit union financing rates aren't as favorable as a Gen 2.
- Credit union financing for all 3 has to be within a certain range of the NADA (only slightly over) and prices have already returned to pre chip shortage prices so finding a Molten Orange 2011 within 105% of the NADA value has been difficult to say the least. Most are a $3-4K over that.

Gen 2 Positives:
- I think the exterior looks better vs Gen 1 (unless it's Molten Orange)
- Slightly better MPG
- Better interior and tech
- Drives really smooth and accelerates quickly.

Gen 2 Negatives:
- The exhaust note
- $15K more than Gen 1 with similar mileage in the current market
- No Molten Orange

So there you go! If the Gen 2 had a V8 exhaust note or was offered in Molten Orange this wouldn't even be a question.

Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!
For the OP

This question comes up a lot. You really need to know yourself and what you intend to do with the truck.
If its a daily driver and you commute a lot or are in the city and use it for work get the G2. Has great interior, creature comforts, is smooth and quiet-ish. Its very capable, is well supported in the aftermarket but be preparred to see a couple dozen evey day!! Here in TX they are everywhere and 95% never see dirt.
If you love Molten (which you do) you like the sound of a V8 and have a nostalgic connection to the 10 Scab then keep looking.
I have had 3 Gen 1's!! Loved every one of them . But I spend time in the dirt, the current truck is built to go to the Baja 1000 as a support truck and is on 37's, KING 3.0/3.0 Bypass up front and 3.0/Deavers out back. Its slow and heavy compared to my supercharged 14 but I still love it..lol

Just know what your expectations are and go for it. Only you know which truck would be the wrong choice.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I average 14.5 going back and forth to work. My best was going from CT to Ocean City MD and got 18.8 traffic was very light and no hills average spead was 70 mph. All depends on traffic for me. On my Gen1 I also get 16 to 17 on going to one of my MX tracks its some highway and mostly back roads for an an hr drive and I currently have 171,000 miles in it
Nice.. My buddy has a molten 10 on 37's , built suspension, longtubes and he is 12.5 like me.. We are both moto guys too!
Where are you located?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had 3 Gen 1's and have never averaged anywhere close to what you get, thats impressive!
Yes I can do a reset while underway and see bigger numbers, but once left alone for a day of driving the Li-O-meter drops back to 12.7-13.5 mpg. Hand Calculated its usually right on the high edge of 12 close to 13
Are you doing the conversion based off a US Gallon or Canadian Gallon ?
I just use the onboard mpg calculator, even though it's a Canadian truck in kph, but I just switch to "standard" as most of my driving was always in the USA, my city driving is usually around 12-13mpg. I know it's accurate, when I tow my '20 travel trailer I get 9.9 mpg hwy. I swear my tire pressure and not using cruise control and a bonus of having a tonneau cover helps a lot, plus I over maintain my vehicles. I reset the mpg to 0 when starting off the trip. I can get just over 20mpg out of the truck doing 50 mph on the freeway, but really can't drive that slow. Another reason to drive a Scab, better gas mileage.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No turbos. No turbo oil lines. No turbo coolant lines. No intercooler and the 53 pipes/joints that will all eventually leak. Lower cylinder pressures (BY FAR), simpler valve train and timing components, and a much simpler fuel system. Far less computers, modules and wiring as well.

Conversely, please give me any reason at all that you think a Gen 1 would ever be less reliable than a Gen 2.
You’re making the baseless assumption that components related to the turbocharger system are somehow more failure prone than other components. Turbochargers have been around for over 100 years, they are not some new unproven technology despite the fear mongering that you like to spread.

And no, there are not “53 pipes/joints” in the charge air cooler system; you’re making a fool of yourself with your complete lack of knowledge. They fact that you make the claim that “they’re all going to leak” is even more comical.

As far as cylinder pressures, the G2 3.5 GTDI was engineered for forced induction from the beginning. There is no NA version. They didn’t just slap 2 turbos on the way people slap superchargers on the 6.2.

Both the 3.5 and 6.2 are OHC engines with VCT, the only difference is the 3.5 has an additional cam on each bank. The 6.2’s intake manifold is more complex, as it features intake manifold runner control with 2 vacuum actuators and 2 position sensors.

Making the broad claim that one engine is more reliable than another based simply on part count is not only inaccurate, but just plain ignorant.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So there's not a single part you can think of where a Gen 2 would be more reliable. Got it.

"53" is hyperbole genius. Talk about obtuse.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You rt on alot of things Ford Tech one. However the 6.2 has always been just maintain, turn the key and go. No cam phaser issues and the other stuff I see posted on here all the time. The 6.2 is in Super Dutys as well and I personally know a few of em with Hard Brutal 300 some thousand miles in construction sites and no problems at all. As far as power output. It all depends on how much money someone wants to spend and can make any engine do what ever ya want. Over all the 6.2L doesn't need to work as hard as smaller turbo engines. That brings the reliability up

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there's not a single part you can think of where a Gen 2 would be more reliable. Got it.

"53" is hyperbole genius. Talk about obtuse.
Hyperboles generally aren't used when discussing technical information. But of course you're only here to spread misinformation, so go figure.

Nobody is claiming the 6.2 isn't reliable. But to claim the EcoBoost is "less reliable" based solely on parts count is a farce.