harnesses bar question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at photos of f-150's of this body style that have rolled. The roof isn't just a tin can structure that crumples right in, they actually fair pretty well. If you get into an accident at high enough speeds, you're not going to have any time to react and "move" around to avoid a roof collapsing in, it'll all be done and overwith before you even know what happened. A harness bar and a 5/6 point harness isn't a bad thing to do without a rollcage. Especially for light wheeling/romping around off road where you want something to hold you in a bit more than the stock belt that doesn't sinch down.

Of course if you're going to the extreme and making a high speed baja desert racer out of it, it's in your best interest to upgrade everything safety wise accordingly.

I have seen a number of pics of this body style F150 that have rolled and definitely don't disagree that the roof isn't a tin can. However, the damage done will all depend on the circumstances of the roll. You could roll 10 times and the roof might not crush, you could roll once and the roof could be a pancake. If the latter happens and you are strapped into a 5 or 6 pt with just a harness bar, the result is not going to be a good one. All I'm saying is that I personally would not run a harness bar and 5 or 6 pts. But that's is just me.

$30k USD is overpriced.

I have seen an S197 flip over 12 times at a speed of 120mph..3pt stock seatbelt only. Guy lived. The roof did not collapse in and crush him. I have also seen a 2010 Mustang flip on its roof, the ****** bolt in cage punch through the floor of the car and the roof entirely collapse leaving the car now a convertible (footpads were not big enough nor probably installed correctly). The last one is the why you want a cage instead of a harness bar. They both lived, but that is besides the point. The argument is that if you land on the roof, it'll crush flat. If your seat cannot collapse backwards causing you to lie down in the car, you'll crush your head, neck, spine ect.

This is what I mean't by "move". Definitely wasn't saying that you'd have time to react in a roll and purposely move to avoid a collapsing roof. I'd also agree with SPRSNK that roll bar and cage is only as good as its construction and the manner in which it is mount.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
unless those seats are carbon fiber and titanium, still no way in hell $30k

Yes, you're undoubtedly right. $30K is enough to buy a midsized truck!

One of the things I've thought about doing is somehow fabricating a center belt to be used with the factory three-point belts. For use off-road only. It would add a modest amount of protection by keeping the lap belt low on the hips and keep you from sliding down under it. I think there's a way, it's just a lot of trouble to put together.