Hams - Help me pick a dual band mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I am ready to pull the trigger on the rest of the gear to get my ham radio set-up. I am trying to decide between two different lip mounts.

Here are the two I am looking at:
Comet CP-5NMO
NCG Company::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Has 16.5' of coax (18" of skinny stuff with the rest bigger).
Ham City has it for $56.95

Diamond K412SNMO
Diamond® Antenna ~ K412SNMO Trunk Lip Mount
Has 13.5' of coax (all skinny stuff)
Ham City has it for $62.95
(Same one BigJ is using: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/...r-radio-install-frs-gmrs-mod-7519/#post109730)

The Comet is cheaper, has longer coax (most of it thicker), but the Diamond is rated for more power.

Thoughts?

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will both handle 50+ watts and most of the time you will probably only be running 15 to 20 watts.
It takes :think: 4 times the power to raise 1 S-unit or approx 6 DB.
~ Running high power all the time :mexsmoke: is a good way to over heat your radio . ..
and when the magic smoke leaves the radio . .. you're done
But, :birgits_tiredcoffeeif the heater doesn't work . . .. then, have at it.:crazy:

:hmm:Choose the one that will give you the best 'fit & finish' aka 'least maintenance'
Pictures when complete :popcorn:

brusso99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont get a NMO mount go with a uhf mount.. this way you can pull the antenna, rig and battery in an emergency and raise the antenna up easy.

onesickpuppy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I find myself liking the on-glass ones more and more, verses clamp on, drilling, or mag mounts. I still use mag mount, but I use a clear 3M to protect paint.
my $.02
OSP

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kaiser go with the Comet HD-5M. Its solid! I get really good range with it where its on my truck. Don't worry about power, your Kenwood is not gonna exceed the limits of the mount and coax.

This mount was worked hard on the trails back in May. I hit just about every tree branch on the trails. I also have another short course race tomorrow so I will have new video of it getting a work out.... The last race the antenna just about smacked the roof, the four set screws held the mount solid.

Edit: What antenna did you get?