GEN 2 got my new raptor last monday... thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TROY JEUP

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I may be the first or second person who has taken delivery of one of these beasts, not sure. I got it last Monday. Was going to get it Saturday prior but was busy. I have a lot of high-performance vehicles and I build high performance BMW engines for a living ~ so naturally the Raptor fills the truck need.

Interestingly enough, I had a 2016 F150 "BAJA740" prior to owning this Raptor. Looks about the same, has better wheels and tires and has the roush 2.3L twin screw up top on the 5.0L V8. I bought this truck for a little more than the Raptor cost me ~ and loved the truck. The v8 supercharged sounded awesome and pulled more than this raptor. Problem was the truck made about 615hp as opposed to the advertised 740hp so I made them take it back.

Fast forward to the Raptor. I feel the engine has a lot of potential and I know the bottom end is good for 700hp when using upgraded turbos. Will be going down this route shortly.

How does the truck sound? The V6 in the engine bay sounds like total crap as expected and the exhaust sounds like crap to be expected. However, in the cabin it is overwhelmingly a V8 sound so I feel it sounds the part but it is a joke because once you open the windows you can hear the V6. In 450hp stock form, this engine is working too hard for the weight of the truck, but in 700hp form when I am done with it after turbos, tune, downpipes, etc. It will be sufficient ~ but I would rather have a 800hp supercharged V8 any day.

The 10-speed transmission has scared me since I came up with the idea of buying the truck and I feel it will be a high failure point on the trucks. It is just shifting too much. crappy shifts, etc. I am going to see if we can program out 8 thru 10 so it doesnt use those gears. I drive 100% manual mode so I never see anything higher than 7th at about 85 mph.

What is the gas mileage? I am averaging about 10.2 MPG in 800 miles. have changed the oil twice and am running joe gibbs br30 currently. will switch to fr50 5w50 joe gibbs shortly since breakin is done. I got about 10.6 mpg in the baja 740 that is a supercharged v8. so this engine is getting slightly worse gas mileage in the same type of driving conditions because I feel it is working harder.

Overall I like the truck. wish it had a V8 and a 6-speed, but it doesnt. I will get it to 700hp and it will be a good daily driver to haul my wife and kids around. let the modding begin.

oh, I added a K&P stainless oil filter. it is a great add for improvements in oil pressure and it is a lifetime filter. It also aides in the clearance issue the stock filter has to that radiator hardline coming down right in front of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 354
  • 20161013_165251.jpg
    20161013_165251.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 359
  • 20161013_183825.jpg
    20161013_183825.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 398
  • 85AED4FA-1377-4909-B0D8-EEE8208C8F39.jpg
    85AED4FA-1377-4909-B0D8-EEE8208C8F39.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 367

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interested to see how this all turns out. Also intrigued by your review to this point. I was wondering how that 10 speed was gonna work out. Any off road plans or just keeping it street?

paulhaskew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the extensive write up and thoughts. Greatly appreciated and I'm curious to see where it goes with larger turbos and some tuning.

_M_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it on a dyno jet at roush R&D. It made less than 450rwhp.

Thanks for the early feedback. Doesn't sound like you're all that thrilled with the change so I have to ask why not work with the dealer or Waldoch to get the motor up to the advertised 740hp? Or do it yourself? Was the motor stock? would be my first guess why it wasn't pushing over 700hp.

I've heard your name before, seem to have a good rep on bimmerforum, so I'll be interested in seeing the changes you make.

You can have the dealer turn off the fake engine noise in the cabin. What would you do coming from a six cylinder world (yes I know different config) to get a good sound out of the motor?

OP
OP
T

TROY JEUP

Reaction score
Thanks for the early feedback. Doesn't sound like you're all that thrilled with the change so I have to ask why not work with the dealer or Waldoch to get the motor up to the advertised 740hp? Or do it yourself? Was the motor stock? would be my first guess why it wasn't pushing over 700hp.

I've heard your name before, seem to have a good rep on bimmerforum, so I'll be interested in seeing the changes you make.

You can have the dealer turn off the fake engine noise in the cabin. What would you do coming from a six cylinder world (yes I know different config) to get a good sound out of the motor?

The 2.3L charger is limited to 650hp on the stock motor per roush. so the switch to a 2.9L Whipple was needed for the 740hp target and that voided the power train warranty with ford. Didn't want that because I Know you will blow up a stock 5.0L when pushing 740hp on it.

With this turbo 6, I know it will make 700 and run every day just fine. Has been validated by some friends I know inside ford.

And yes. I have a large following around the world in the bmw community. I am the largest seller of V10 bmw engines in the world. Have been blessed to have many many hi powered cars.

Attachments

• EB347BA2-EC15-4EA6-BCB7-AAEA6F313B50.jpg
    EB347BA2-EC15-4EA6-BCB7-AAEA6F313B50.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 303