GEN 2 got my new raptor last monday... thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good,info. This is what happens with farm trucks v6 just don't cut it.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Question did you try the diffrent modes?

_M_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not complaining about the gas mileage. I expect 10mpg in a vehicle of this size. Was merely stating how it is funny that both trucks are getting darn near close to the same mpg. However the bummer is that in the Baja (even at 615hp), I was going faster than with the v6. Full throttle thru the first few gears I would see 80 to 85 in the Baja and I see about 65 in the raptor.

That means this little v6 is working far harder to try and keep up with a roush charged v8.

I think Ford would hit a home run if they offered some derivative of the 5.2L flat plane from the gt350R in this raptor as an option. Then the people who want a v8 will get what they want and not go out and buy a Baja or a roush truck instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In all fairness that's what having 150+ extra horsepower yields you.

Up the tune on the Raptor and you'll be well over 500 if results are similar to what non-HO 3.5's are getting. But it will still be working "harder".

Based off what I know about the Baja and Roush trucks, they are just bolt-ons. Yeah the Baja has a body kit and fox shocks, but it's no ground-up design like the Raptor. I think the people that really want a V8 would be much better off to buy a F-150 and build it with real performance parts from the likes of Rogue.

Did you get the dealer to turn off the enhanced engine sounds? Curious if they charged you to do it?

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't treat the gas pedal like an on/off switch and MPGs will improve.

Is this the smartest thing that can be said to a guy that obviously has forgotten more about vehicles than you or I will ever learn? Christ, he's sharing his thoughts with how he drives. It's an honest review. Hold the stupid comments on this one thread that I'm sure most members will be following closely to see how a true car guy gets the most out of a new Gen2.

Calistorm87

Reaction score
The 2.3L charger is limited to 650hp on the stock motor per roush. so the switch to a 2.9L Whipple was needed for the 740hp target and that voided the power train warranty with ford. Didn't want that because I Know you will blow up a stock 5.0L when pushing 740hp on it.

With this turbo 6, I know it will make 700 and run every day just fine. Has been validated by some friends I know inside ford.

And yes. I have a large following around the world in the bmw community. I am the largest seller of V10 bmw engines in the world. Have been blessed to have many many hi powered cars.

Sweet Camaro Z/28!

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to see if we can program out 8 thru 10 so it doesnt use those gears. I drive 100% manual mode so I never see anything higher than 7th at about 85 mph.

What is the gas mileage? I am averaging about 10.2 MPG in 800 miles. have changed the oil twice
You can program 8-10 out if you click the left paddle a few times in regular mode.

Also, if you averaged that poorly I'm assuming you're manual shift, revving it around 4-6k rpm and mostly WOT the entire time you've been breaking in the engine? My truck is getting 15.5 mpg the first hundred miles during break-in.

FWIW, this truck already makes like 370rwhp and 420 rwtq so it's not far off your last supercharged F150. Should easily make 500 rwhp without anything but a tune.

I say you should just stick with the V8 if you're into modding it that heavily anyway. You can throw a new bottom end in if you blow it up, why stick with the V6 if you don't like it ?

Last edited:

stealthfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bet fuel mileage improves after a few thousand miles, usually does in most new vehicles.

OP
OP
T

TROY JEUP

Reaction score
Per ford SVT. You cannot disable the fake engine noise. I called them today and the guy named Isaac got really defensive when I asked if I could disable the v8 engine noise in the cabin. ROFL. ;P

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

10mpg Is achieved by rolling at around 3500rpm. Shift point 4 to 6k. Break in is complete. I took out the Joe Gibbs and put in mobil1 0w50 racing oil. Motor seems a little quieter at idle with the 0W as is to be expected. Mileage is 980. This is the 4th oil change. Oil looked good for 400/miles of abuse. Minimal ferrous metal on the magnet that is located on the filter.

Motor seems to be running great. Cannot wait to get more power.

Will drop all drivetrain fluid next week and put in Joe Gibbs and magnetic drain plugs.

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must of just gotten off the phone with Isaac and didn't have the most pleasant conversation with him, interior silly noise notwithstanding LOL.