Godzilla 7.3 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sc85fiero

Reaction score
well...thats you. im still putting one in my truck, megazilla spec, then whipple supercharged down the road..

is there aftermarket cylinder heads, or intake manifolds for 3.5? i think ive seen one set of aftermarket exhaust manifolds, and basically one manufacturer of a larger turbo, in one or two sizes.. theres really not much in hard parts vs. what is already out there for the 7.3L.

i dont understand the lure of trying to run 600-700hp from a V6 when its easily attainable, less stressed and less high strung, while also keeping good drivability to do it without a V8 swap.. i guess im just a dumb hillbilly.
The very first thing I said in my post was to each his own. I wasn't here to argue which is better, only give my educated opinion on the matter. I thought that was what the message boards were meant for.

I don't recall myself calling you a dumb hillbilly, nor can I even make that leap in my head from a post about one person's opinion on an engine swap versus another. For that matter I live in Southwest Florida and have been called similar names simply because of where I live.

-Joe

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To each their own, I have been in the Automotive world for 23 years professionally, and aside from working with OEMs at dealerships (the last 7 years with my current Ford dealer) I also have a penchant for building/customizing/fabricating cars out of my garage including many engine swaps. (My username refers to my current supercharged 3800 swapped 85 Fiero). Not saying I'm right about everything, but a 7.3 swap into a 3.5EB Raptor is about the last thing I would do.

Everyone sees the big impressive size of the 7.3, the old school overhead valve design, the cool name Ford gave that engine (Godzilla) and think of high displacement, high HP and torque. The problem is, that engine was designed for use in large heavy fleet super duty trucks, E-vans, and motorhomes. It was not really designed with high RPM, high HP and torque in mind. basically its meant to be used where a diesel normally would when a fleet doesn't want the hassle of a diesel truck.

I also have to agree that there is much more aftermarket for the 3.5EB just solely due to the years in production versus the 7.3. The aftermarket may start making more stuff for the 7.3, but Ford still makes the 3.5EB and the aftermarket will keep supporting it.

As a Ford tech, I have had more than enough 3.5EB apart for various reasons, and I have had three 7.3 engines apart, Ill take the engineering that went in to the 3.5EB over the simpler design of a motorhome engine for my performance needs.

-Joe
I’ve been saying this for years on here, but people think that every engine can simply be defined by cylinder count/displacement. Mainly people who don’t understand engine design, these people (they make themselves obvious) will make things up as they go to try and suit their argument. As you said, the 7.3 is no GM LS; it’s a cast iron 600lb truck/bus/motor home engine that was intended as for low/midrange RPM use in Super Duty, E-Series, and F-53/F-59. It’s about the worst possible choice for an engine swap into high performance application.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same vs same, a bigger engine always makes more power and torque. There is no replacement for displacement.

The 3.5L TT Ford engine will never be sold with 700+ HP and a warranty.
And the 7.3 is? :happy175:

The S/C V8s are though, in multiple vehicles, across multiple brands.

The OEMs have moved on to boosted V8s for big power. The top dog gas engines in Ford, GM and Dodge lineups are all S/C V8s.

There is another 100+ HP left in them when they move to from the blower to turbos.
And thread is about the 7.3. Which is not 700HP, not Supercharged, and not designed for light duty applications.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well...thats you. im still putting one in my truck, megazilla spec, then whipple supercharged down the road..
We’ll hold you to it and wait for the build thread.
is there aftermarket cylinder heads, or intake manifolds for 3.5? i think ive seen one set of aftermarket exhaust manifolds, and basically one manufacturer of a larger turbo, in one or two sizes.. theres really not much in hard parts vs. what is already out there for the 7.3L.
There are already aftermarket cylinder heads for EcoBoost engines including Gen 2 3.5. An aftermarket intake manifold is irrelevant; it’s not a major restriction. There are multiple companies making turbo upgrades, do you not know how to search for something before you post?
i dont understand the lure of trying to run 600-700hp from a V6 when its easily attainable, less stressed and less high strung, while also keeping good drivability to do it without a V8 swap.. i guess im just a dumb hillbilly.
Maybe try and learn, do some reading. 600HP does not make these engines “high strung” at all. You’re acting like “swapping” (fabricating in) a 600HP low revving cast iron engine is going to improve driveability or performance when the fact of the matter is it would do the opposite.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
640ft lbs at 3800 rpms sound awful for an on/offroad performance truck... also 650HP at 5800 sound pretty good too... not sure what you mean by low revving..

no one is making 650hp on an ecoboost engine, inside the stockish rpm range, and you are a fool if you think otherwise...and no diffference in turbo lag, or spool times with these big turbos from all these manufacturers? sound high strung to me...

what company makes cylinder heads? at what PSI do plastic intakes live to?

quit assuming everyone is dumber or less educated than you. its a bad look from a forum ambassador like yourself, and im not interested in getting a thread like this locked because you choose this path everytime.

edit for reference... TRX is 702 at 6100rpm 650 torque at 4800

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The very first thing I said in my post was to each his own. I wasn't here to argue which is better, only give my educated opinion on the matter. I thought that was what the message boards were meant for.

I don't recall myself calling you a dumb hillbilly, nor can I even make that leap in my head from a post about one person's opinion on an engine swap versus another. For that matter I live in Southwest Florida and have been called similar names simply because of where I live.

-Joe
I was just stereotyping myself with my dumb outlook on displacement and big engines belonging in big trucks.. I'm old school and prefer easy

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
640ft lbs at 3800 rpms sound awful for an on/offroad performance truck... also 650HP at 5800 sound pretty good too... not sure what you mean by low revving..
I’m referring to the 7.3 Super Duty engine that’s the topic of this thread. The one that costs $10000 as a crate engine and makes 430HP/475 lb-ft.
no one is making 650hp on an ecoboost engine, inside the stockish rpm range, and you are a fool if you think otherwise...and no diffference in turbo lag, or spool times with these big turbos from all these manufacturers? sound high strung to me...
This is hardly worth responding to, clearly the “fool” here is the one who knows nothing about these engines yet comes in here spouting off like you have the slightest understanding. Honestly, you’re embarrassing yourself with statements that ridiculous.
what company makes cylinder heads? at what PSI do plastic intakes live to?
Obviously you know how to use the internet, try looking it up yourself instead of coming back with the same rephrased question I’ve answered multiple times.
quit assuming everyone is dumber or less educated than you. its a bad look from a forum ambassador like yourself, and im not interested in getting a thread like this locked because you choose this path everytime.

edit for reference... TRX is 702 at 6100rpm 650 torque at 4800
You are the one “assuming” anyone implied that, you did the same to @sc85fiero.

I’m not “choosing” any “path” lol, you’re clearly the one becoming upset and defensive here. There is no reason to argue against facts.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m referring to the 7.3 Super Duty engine that’s the topic of this thread. The one that costs $10000 as a crate engine and makes 430HP/475 lb-ft.

This is hardly worth responding to, clearly the “fool” here is the one who knows nothing about these engines yet comes in here spouting off like you have the slightest understanding. Honestly, you’re embarrassing yourself with statements that ridiculous.

Obviously you know how to use the internet, try looking it up yourself instead of coming back with the same rephrased question I’ve answered multiple times.

You are the one “assuming” anyone implied that, you did the same to @sc85fiero.

I’m not “choosing” any “path” lol, you’re clearly the one becoming upset and defensive here. There is no reason to argue against facts.
Sure bud. You're condescending comments say it all, in many threads where you inject your opinions, not only towards me, on engine swaps and really any aftermarket things that alter factory perfect raptor.. I'm not upset or otherwise, you choose to belittle and demean anyone that doesn't go along with your opinions.. have a nice day

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And also I've been referring to megazilla in any and all comments I've made in the thread.. a base godzilla is still a good swap to me but really who is not going to change the cam to something more performance oriented if they're going thru the trouble to put a V8 and take a V6 out?

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Again refer back to my post #50 The 13b to a LS out of a van/truck not a good swap on paper. The 13b can make way more HP than the stock LS. Out of some truck/van and is way lighter you can spin it up 8k. So why do an LS swap? On paper. It make no sense. There are tons of aftermarket support for the 13b Heck you can build a four rotor keg now 26b now there is absolutely no need to even THINK about a LS!!! but they get swiped all the time. Those are the facts.
This is a comparison
The 3.5EB is no DOG Like the 13b, A lot has gone into the 3.5eb time will tell... If It will remain the power plant of the Raptor. I don't decide. The person who owns the truck 20 years from now... after there is no warranty to fall back on and parts are paid for out of pocket they will decide. I believe the truck will remain desirable enough over the years to see what happens. AT this point in time it doesn't look good for the 3.5eb.(to me) Talks of swaps early when a lot of the raptors here are under 150k. with the 3.5eb. But again who knows. I sure don't.