Godzilla 7.3 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again refer back to my post #50 The 13b to a LS out of a van/truck not a good swap on paper. The 13b can make way more HP than the stock LS. Out of some truck/van and is way lighter you can spin it up 8k. So why do an LS swap? On paper. It make no sense. There are tons of aftermarket support for the 13b Heck you can build a four rotor keg now 26b now there is absolutely no need to even THINK about a LS!!! but they get swiped all the time. Those are the facts.
Not seeing any relevance here. Apples to Oranges.
This is a comparison
The 3.5EB is no DOG Like the 13b, A lot has gone into the 3.5eb time will tell... If It will remain the power plant of the Raptor. I don't decide. The person who owns the truck 20 years from now... after there is no warranty to fall back on and parts are paid for out of pocket they will decide. I believe the truck will remain desirable enough over the years to see what happens. AT this point in time it doesn't look good for the 3.5eb.(to me) Talks of swaps early when a lot of the raptors here are under 150k. with the 3.5eb. But again who knows. I sure don't.
It’s a Ford. Just like Fords from 20 years prior, there will be service parts. Gen 1 EcoBoost has been around 13 years now, and they have proven durable long term into the hundreds of thousands of miles.

You state you “sure don’t know”, then say “at this time it doesn’t look good for the 3.5eb”? Based on what? A random theoretical swap thread on FRF lol?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
future teller...
Again refer back to my post #50 The 13b to a LS out of a van/truck not a good swap on paper. The 13b can make way more HP than the stock LS. Out of some truck/van and is way lighter you can spin it up 8k. So why do an LS swap? On paper. It make no sense. There are tons of aftermarket support for the 13b Heck you can build a four rotor keg now 26b now there is absolutely no need to even THINK about a LS!!! but they get swiped all the time. Those are the facts.
This is a comparison
The 3.5EB is no DOG Like the 13b, A lot has gone into the 3.5eb time will tell... If It will remain the power plant of the Raptor. I don't decide. The person who owns the truck 20 years from now... after there is no warranty to fall back on and parts are paid for out of pocket they will decide. I believe the truck will remain desirable enough over the years to see what happens. AT this point in time it doesn't look good for the 3.5eb.(to me) Talks of swaps early when a lot of the raptors here are under 150k. with the 3.5eb. But again who knows. I sure don't

any of the high end prerunners are running LS based engines, ( and not only aluminum ones) i think the 7.3L is going to fill the gap for a lot of people that dont want to run a chevy in their ford truck and want a V8.. im not sure why people are having such a hard time understanding this fact. theres already plenty of 5.0L swapped gen2 trucks, why would this be any different?

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not seeing any relevance here. Apples to Oranges.
Then you should read #50 and #60 I disagree It is the same thing. someone pulling a 13b rotary and replacing with an LS. I don't think is dumb or wrong. it is just what there doing. The 13b is more than capable of producing the the same HP as the stock LS and way more.

I don't disagree it is a ford and the parts will be and are available.

The aftermarket is a little weak at this point but getting there. Just my option.

I would say I don't know what will power the 3.5eb raptor in the future Because I don't. I say it dosnt look good right now for 3.5eb not based on this thread but a lot of conturing factors. One of them being laugh at when looking for flow Numbers by one of the best FORD high performance engine builders in the country.
That is not a crack on the 3.5Eb I think is an amazing engine. but what do I know I think the 13b is also. So is the LS.
and to be clear I was not saying LS Raptor that would be stupid. In my option.
PS...Mazda still suports parts you want for the 13b like ford and 3.5eb.
sorry if I didn't make my point clear hope the helps.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Then you should read #50 and #60 I disagree It is the same thing. someone pulling a 13b rotary and replacing with an LS. I don't think is dumb or wrong. it is just what there doing. The 13b is more than capable of producing the the same HP as the stock LS and way more.

I don't disagree it is a ford and the parts will be and are bailable.

The aftermarket is a little weak at this point but getting there. Just my option.

I would say I don't know what will power the 3.5eb raptor in the future Because I don't. I say it dosnt look good right now for 3.5eb not based on this thread but a lot of conturing factors. One of them being laugh at when looking for flow Numbers by one of the best FORD high performance engine builders in the country.
That is not a crack on the 3.5Eb I think is an amazing engine. but what do I know I think the 13b is also. So is the LS.
and to be clear I was not saying LS Raptor that would be stupid. In my option.
PS...Mazda still suports parts you want for the 13b like ford and 3.5eb.
sorry if I didn't make my point clear hope the helps.

plenty of engines didn't belong in the raptor... but most of them came in the GEN2/GEN3.. :troll3:

all jokes aside.. this is a 7.3L engine swap thread.. can we stay on the topic?

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is my point. Swapping to the 7.3 what you feel is far superior to the 3.5. F.T.O and the other guy feel 3.5eb is better. was the entire POTNT. I just gave you the exact same thing just different engines different vehicles. TIME WILL TELL. sorry I can't give you an answer right now not enough time has gone by. IF the aftermarket make it easy for the swaps IT WILL HAPPED. no matter what F.T.O thinks. IF the Aftermarket gets serious for the 3.5eb swaps will not happen on a grand sale. IF they both step up there game who knows? WOW. Don't believe me read #50 and #60 again. It has already happened with the RX 7. This is just one car that came to mind. There are Plenty of others.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said I didn’t see the relevance. Never said “dumb” or “wrong”. Rotary engines are problematic and have been since their inception; that is not the case here.
I don't disagree it is a ford and the parts will be and are available.

Weak in what way? It’s not really an opinion, either there’s aftermarket upgrades available or there aren’t, and the EcoBoost engine lineup in general has received massive support in the aftermarket since its inception over a decade ago. Gen 2 3.5 EcoBoost is no different.
The “flow” numbers you found were from a computer simulation with generic fields. Comparing a cylinder head designed for N/A engine to an F/I one isn’t apples to apples either.

“I say it dosnt look good right now for 3.5eb not based on this thread but a lot of conturing factors?”

And what are those “contributing factors”? :think:

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is my point. Swapping to the 7.3 what you feel is far superior to the 3.5. F.T.O and the other guy feel 3.5eb is better. was the entire POTNT. I just gave you the exact same thing just different engines different vehicles. TIME WILL TELL.
You’re confusing better in general with better for a specific application. The 7.3 is proving to be an excellent HD truck engine, which is exactly what it was designed for. The Gen 2 3.5 is the best fit for the Raptor, and for those wanting more there is the exclusive 5.2 in the R.
sorry I can't give you an answer right now not enough time has gone by. IF the aftermarket make it easy for the swaps IT WILL HAPPED. no matter what F.T.O thinks. IF the Aftermarket gets serious for the 3.5eb swaps will not happen on a grand sale. IF they both step up their game who knows? WOW. Don't believe me read #50 and #60 again. It has already happened with the RX 7. This is just one car that came to mind. There are Plenty of others.
No rational person would hack up and devalue their truck by swapping in a heavier and less powerful engine. It makes no sense.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is my point. Swapping to the 7.3 what you feel is far superior to the 3.5. F.T.O and the other guy feel 3.5eb is better. was the entire POTNT. I just gave you the exact same thing just different engines different vehicles. TIME WILL TELL. sorry I can't give you an answer right now not enough time has gone by. IF the aftermarket make it easy for the swaps IT WILL HAPPED. no matter what F.T.O thinks. IF the Aftermarket gets serious for the 3.5eb swaps will not happen on a grand sale. IF they both step up there game who knows? WOW. Don't believe me read #50 and #60 again. It has already happened with the RX 7. This is just one car that came to mind. There are Plenty of others.
I'm not sure it is far superior, but I think for the truck that I always wanted, it is the best fit. Ford didn't give me the truck I wanted.. so I will make it what I want, even if it isn't perfect... it will be bad ***

We've been talking about this 7.3L swap for pages and pages...does anyone believe that someone would swap in a stock 7.3L right out of a super duty, without an upgrade cam, intake, throttle body or long tube headers? Basic HP bolt ons.. it doesn't make sense to lose 20hp and gain 100lbs to go this route. Does the remote start gen1 sound like a basic super duty 7.3L?

Common sense isn't so common...

If I had a turbo rx7, I'd keep the rotary

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First off I will address flow number question the True Numbers from livernois they had them 296/204 @.450 they do not offer a CNC port for the gen2 3.5Eb only for gen1 3.5Eb you can gain 15/20 CFM gain on their Hand port. and had no Lift for .550 just a little better than the 257/198 @ .450 not a lot better. Flow # are not based on Boost. Boost is one side boost is not made on exhaust.LOL but you know that.

1689308158448.png
unlike others here you will have a tough time trolling me but I applaud the effort.
And what are those “contributing factors
Find me a 1000 hp 3.5eb not the one Garrett has on the stand. One on the Dino making pulls. or one pulling 850 at the wheels. I have looked I haven't found one yet. and I am not saying there not out there I just haven't found one.
So that is one reason there are others.
Making a 1000 is my bottom if you have 4 wheels and want to go fast. In something weighing 3500 (not that is raptor weight) LOL
Now I can find tons of 7.3 pulling on the Dino couple of 1000 lots of 850. Dose it make it a better engine. NOPE!!!
so you may think the aftermarket world is strong with the 3.5 and it might be but if you cant see it with a quick search in this day in age. Well draw your own conclusion.
You act like I make the rules. I don't when I say IT WILL HAPPEN. that is not up to me. I can say it with confidence because it already has. There is a guy out there that put a 7.3 in his gen2. now if it happens in mass I have already said I don't know. I stand by that statement. I do not control what others do with their swaps I am just an observer. Speculating where things might go. Based on things I have seen in the past.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off I will address flow number question the True Numbers from livernois they had them 296/204 @.450 they do not offer a CNC port for the gen2 3.5Eb only for gen1 3.5Eb you can gain 15/20 CFM gain on their Hand port. and had no Lift for .550 just a little better than the 257/198 @ .450 not a lot better. Flow # are not based on Boost. Boost is one side boost is not made on exhaust.LOL but you know that.
You’re forgetting flow on the exhaust stroke is a determined by back pressure in the exhaust manifold before the turbo. The exhaust port is not the limiting factor. Which is why comparing flow numbers between N/A and F/I heads isn’t conclusive.
unlike others here you will have a tough time trolling me but I applaud the effort.
I’m just not seeing why you’re so invested in a swap for a vehicle you don’t own. Gen 2 has been out for 8 years now; engine swaps are anything but common. Just because someone hacked a 7.3/10R140 into a Gen 2 doesn’t make it a good swap, in fact it’s the opposite in terms of weight, performance, and complexity.
Find me a 1000 hp 3.5eb not the one Garrett has on the stand. One on the Dino making pulls. or one pulling 850 at the wheels. I have looked I haven't found one yet. and I am not saying they’re not out there I just haven't found one.
Goosetuned is putting down 700+WHP on the stock engine with bolt ons.

RMB short blocks support 1000+HP:

Regardless, where is all this supposed demand for “850” or more horsepower? Tune only trucks are running 4 second 0-60 and 12’s in the quarter; you can only use so much power on the street.
So that is one reason there are others.
Making a 1000 is my bottom if you have 4 wheels and want to go fast. In something weighing 3500 (not that is raptor weight) LOL
Now I can find tons of 7.3 pulling on the Dino couple of 1000 lots of 850. Dose it make it a better engine. NOPE!!!
Ok..does your truck have 1000HP? No…so how is that your bottom? Horsepower is rarely the limiting factor on an off road vehicle, 1000 is not even usable on a street vehicle. Adding 400lbs over the front axle of a Baja truck is detrimental to its entire purpose of going fast off road; adding horsepower does not make up for that.
so you may think the aftermarket world is strong with the 3.5 and it might be but if you cant see it with a quick search in this day in age. Well draw your own conclusion.
See above. Aftermarket performance upgrades are everywhere, not sure what search engine you’re using…
You act like I make the rules. I don't when I say IT WILL HAPPEN. that is not up to me. I can say it with confidence because it already has. There is a guy out there that put a 7.3 in his gen2. now if it happens in mass I have already said I don't know. I stand by that statement. I do not control what others do with their swaps I am just an observer. Speculating where things might go. Based on things I have seen in the past.
It’s a one-off. No rational person would waste thousands of dollars hacking up their truck to swap in a heavier engine with less power. You can make more power than even the “megazilla” on a stock Gen 2 engine with bolt-ons and a tune.

Last edited: