GEN3 Buyback case has been opened.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think about what you're actually saying. "It's in the manufacturer's interest to deny every claim." Why?? So they can **** off EVERY customer that has an issue? That is the exact opposite of what 99% of the companies are trying to do. Warranty costs are built into pricing. The manufacturer is trying to keep customers happy and faithful to their respective product.
They have the number one selling vehicle in the nation. Every single vehicle they make is sold nearly the minute it hits the lot. They are a publicly traded company with the goal of maximizing profit.

Yes, the costs are built into the pricing…but why on earth would they voluntarily spend money that they do not have to? It’s the same as with the insurance industry…it’s in the best interest is the company to deny as many claims as possible. Whether home or medical, they deny or require extra steps to make the consumer work to get covered. I have to deal with this on a daily basis, they intentionally make it a pain.

I’m sure FMC has some internal data on this. Fixing X issue costs Y money and Z claimants leave the issue alone if they have to take more than one visit to fix.

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have the number one selling vehicle in the nation. Every single vehicle they make is sold nearly the minute it hits the lot. They are a publicly traded company with the goal of maximizing profit.

Yes, the costs are built into the pricing…but why on earth would they voluntarily spend money that they do not have to? It’s the same as with the insurance industry…it’s in the best interest is the company to deny as many claims as possible. Whether home or medical, they deny or require extra steps to make the consumer work to get covered. I have to deal with this on a daily basis, they intentionally make it a pain.

I’m sure FMC has some internal data on this. Fixing X issue costs Y money and Z claimants leave the issue alone if they have to take more than one visit to fix.
Took my 37pp to my dealer today, Ive been having a squeak on the passenger side suspension. Rolled up, the guy checking in cars had the service manager come take a look. He called over the lead Tech. Jumped on the running board a few times while the Tech took a look. Asked if I had lubed it. I said I had with some silicone lube and the squeak came back in 2 days. Service manager order new front shocks on the spot and will call me when they come in to install under warranty. Took literally 10 minutes. First question the service manager asked was...... drum roll.... Is the suspension still stock. I think the response would have been a bit different had I modified it in any way. My experience is that warranties are not like health insurance. Auto manufacturers are actually very willing to fix their problems, and do build that into the cost of doing business. They spend great effort to understand this (as you point out) from an actuarial standpoint. Their frustration is when we do things outside the warranty that throw the actuaries off and expect it to be covered.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Sorry, but long term business process doesn't work by ******** customers in the short term. Do companies just want to toss money away for no good reason? Obviously not, but that's very different from you saying that all companies want to screw existing customers with legit warranty issues. The insurance industry is a wildly different business model than most.

Last edited:

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but long term business process doesn't work by ******** customers in the short term. Do companies just want to toss money away for no good reason? Obviously not, but that's very different from you saying that all companies want to screw existing customers with legit warranty issues. The insurance industry is a wildly different business model than most.
Where did I say that they want to “screw” customers?

It is a fact that it is in their best interest to deny every claim possible, financially. Whether they do that and to what extent, only FMC knows. Much of that comes down to dealer relationships…but is does mimic the insurance business model in many ways. I’ve had mixed experiences as have most of us. As we have seen, including on this forum, some Ford employees immediately blame the customer regardless of the scenario. That’s an issue, especially if they claim to care about customers.

I’m on my third Raptor and 8th F150. I obviously am a Ford fan…but just like these dealers ******** over customers with ADM, hidden fees, and ridiculous financing/plans…Ford cares more about profit than their customers. Which I am not faulting them, as they are a for profit company and most of us are shareholders. I want Quality to become a bigger focus for the brand because my 2023 is the worst truck I’ve bought from them…but at least take care of the issues in brand new trucks without faulting customers as long as it’s a true warranty issue and lean on the side of the customer rather than denials if reasonable.

Last edited:

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where did I say that they want to “screw” customers?

It is a fact that it is in their best interest to deny every claim possible, financially.

Denying legit warranty claims is absolutely the same thing as ******** your customers.

To say it's financially advantageous to screw people around for warranty only makes financial sense if you plan on closing your doors in a year or two. If a company is in it for the long haul it makes zero sense to not stand behind your product warranty. Happy, satisfied, repeat customers, and those same people referring friends and family, are what keeps a business healthy.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Denying legit warranty claims is absolutely the same thing as ******** your customers.

To say it's financially advantageous to screw people around for warranty only makes financial sense if you plan on closing your doors in a year or two. If a company is in it for the long haul it makes zero sense to not stand behind your product warranty. Happy, satisfied, repeat customers, and those same people referring friends and family, are what keeps a business healthy.
Does Ford have a healthy business? Financially, is FMC doing well? Does FMC always make customer focused decisions?

I’m not trying to say that Ford treats their auto warranty work as American Home Shield treats homeowners. I just pointed out that it is in their best interest, financially, to deny claims.

I don’t think that they just blatantly deny every claim. I never claimed that. I don’t think they want to screw every customer over. I do think that they look for reasons to blame the customer to get out of claims. I also believe that they try cheap/quick fixes rather than an expensive or timely fix with the hope that the customer doesn’t bring it back in…just as we do with healthcare per insurance guidelines.

Take a look at your local dealer’s service google ratings and skip Fast Lane type service. There are countless stories of denied claims with blame shifted to the customer. If you don’t like it as the customer, you can switch dealers…like if you’re in my position. But…Ford, the administrator of the plan, has the ultimate decision. My local dealers couldn’t get me in until June for the problems on my two week old truck when I called in January. I ended up getting it in a dealer two hours away in March (diagnostic) and then April, but didn’t have it for 8wk. They fixed 1/5 things, claiming the rest were either normal or parts on back order. I now have a sunroof that leaks (but wouldn’t open at all before), regular “drive control fault, service required” if I switch drive modes, and I lose lights/cameras on the side view mirror.

Legit question- How long am I reasonably expected to be out of my truck in the first year of ownership, with a Ford Escape as a loaner? How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait for warranty service?

Some of you are acting like I hate Ford. In the past 12mo, I’ve bought a 70k Lightning and an 85k Raptor. I’ve spent a lot of money with them and plan on keeping with the brand. I am not currently happy with the warranty/service side of things, as well as QC, though.

MKW1456

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oldfart…….welcome to the 21st century. The dealers don’t give 2 shi$& about keeping customers happy. Their motto is if you don’t like the product or service there will be 10 people lined up to take your spot. Very few dealerships work to establish a relationship and depend on repeat, loyal customers. They run a business to make cash however possible. What realistic recourse do people have when warranty claims are denied? Who has the time and money to fight the dealers or FMC?

This is the same BS that occurs with medical insurance. They deny care and require the patients and practitioners to jump through hoops until everyone gives up.

I’ve had my truck in twice to address the issue of lack of SYNC updates. Purchased 2022 in Jan 2023. Has not received one over the air update. Called ford tech and they told me there were multiple faults (up to 24 in a day) regarding OTA updates for my truck. I was told to take it to the dealer. Dealer refuses to help. States my truck is up to date. I even had the ford tech team call the dealer to explain…got nowhere. I’m so sick of trying to explain to them how to do their job that I’ll just give up.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience has been the dealership denying warranty repairs before it ever gets to the company to pay the dealership. Customer pay flat rate always pays better than a warranty claim from the company. Always. If the dealer wants to take care of you, they will. When I purchased my 2020 and had an iwe issue within my first 50 miles, ford sent me coupons in the mail for 4 free oil changes. Not the dealership. The dealership is the problem. I'm sure the dealership is 100% honest on their warranty claims to the company too, lol. You don't have to be good with the wrench, just the pen.