GEN2 (2019) Engine Running Hot, Phaser Sound Again After 10K From Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't been very active on the forum lately but I need your help.

2019 (built 10/2018) Raptor with cam phaser issue was taken in under warranty repair on 8/22/23. The tech made a mistake and did not seat a plastic component for the cooling system to the engine property. I got home and was out of coolant. Seated the part with my mechanic back in my town (dealer service was 40 mi away).

Now I have issues with the phasers again. This an assumption. It may be something else.

Also, since the service last year, the truck has run hot. Normally oil temps are pegged around 200 and since then I'm running about 210-220 temps when it warms up. I thought that was the norm now that the repair service was done.

The dealer is now telling me that it is the phasers and also due to the oil issue TSB:20-2162.

I call BS. My truck isn't burning oil excessively. I don't have blue smoke. I don't have oil leaks. I routinely maintain the truck without issue (besides aforementioned). They are recommending basically a front engine rebuild to replace cover, seals, chain, etc. $5,800.00 job. It is 14 days outside of the year parts/service warranty.

I don't think this is a TSB issue. I think the service messed up the job last year. I'm not sure what the mistake or issue is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
How many miles are on the truck?
Are you the original owner / or can you account for the maintenance schedule - in particular the oil change interval?

10k miles out of a cam phaser repair is suspicious. Was the duty cycle reprogram performed?

OP
OP
hashtag_AWESOME
Reaction score
Currently there's 44K on the ODO. I bought it cert. preowned from a California dealer in 2/2020 with 7,500 on it. Don't know history more than that other than my routine services. The service notes from the phaser replacement does not describe if the "duty cycle reprogram" was done -I will ask.

Thanks smufslayer, been a min! I remember you from the forums when I had a GEN1. Super helpful and knowledgeable.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I believe this is it:

also added to this thread

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't been very active on the forum lately but I need your help.

2019 (built 10/2018) Raptor with cam phaser issue was taken in under warranty repair on 8/22/23. The tech made a mistake and did not seat a plastic component for the cooling system to the engine property. I got home and was out of coolant. Seated the part with my mechanic back in my town (dealer service was 40 mi away).

Now I have issues with the phasers again. This an assumption. It may be something else.

Also, since the service last year, the truck has run hot. Normally oil temps are pegged around 200 and since then I'm running about 210-220 temps when it warms up. I thought that was the norm now that the repair service was done.

The dealer is now telling me that it is the phasers and also due to the oil issue TSB:20-2162.

I call BS. My truck isn't burning oil excessively. I don't have blue smoke. I don't have oil leaks. I routinely maintain the truck without issue (besides aforementioned). They are recommending basically a front engine rebuild to replace cover, seals, chain, etc. $5,800.00 job. It is 14 days outside of the year parts/service warranty.

I don't think this is a TSB issue. I think the service messed up the job last year. I'm not sure what the mistake or issue is. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Nice vizsla ! Aren't motorcraft parts and service backed by warranty?

OP
OP
hashtag_AWESOME
Reaction score
Nice vizsla ! Aren't motorcraft parts and service backed by warranty?
Thanks! Levi is 10 now, wow time flies. Yes, @smurfslayer posted above the mileage schedule for the parts coverage. However, it's a one-time coverage and it was done one year and 20 days ago. Therefore past the one year service/parts warranty. FML

I'm still not seeing in the threads about issue with the truck running hot. And I don't have an oil burn issue.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks! Levi is 10 now, wow time flies. Yes, @smurfslayer posted above the mileage schedule for the parts coverage. However, it's a one-time coverage and it was done one year and 20 days ago. Therefore past the one year service/parts warranty. FML

I'm still not seeing in the threads about issue with the truck running hot. And I don't have an oil burn issue.
IMG_4079.jpeg

IMG_4078.png

What am I missing?

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not uncommon for the thermostat to stick partially closed after the system is opened for repairs. That is likely the cause of it running hot.

If FSA 21B10 wasn’t performed that will result in repeat phaser wear; that should have been completed back in 2021 when it was released.

localbrew

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine runs around 219-222ish had the dealer check it out because I thought it was running hot after the coolant flush. They said it was running at normal operating temperatures. I'm also in 90+ degree weather, it hit 233 in 115 degree weather on a road trip going up a grade at 82 mph. Which is why I had the dealer check it out.

OP
OP
hashtag_AWESOME
Reaction score
Mine runs around 219-222ish had the dealer check it out because I thought it was running hot after the coolant flush. They said it was running at normal operating temperatures. I'm also in 90+ degree weather, it hit 233 in 115 degree weather on a road trip going up a grade at 82 mph. Which is why I had the dealer check it out.
That's about what I'm seeing. However, I did not have this issue before the phaser replacement a year ago.

@FordTechOne has a good point about the thermostat which I mentioned to the service last week -I don't know if they looked into that however. I'm still pushing back about the phaser job that they should do on their dime.

@thatJeepguy I would agree with you. Please note the "*" regarding what is covered/not covered. Ford Corporate confirmed with me that the warranty service is covered for one year. If I had paid for it out of pocket it would have been covered under that 2 year policy.