Gen 3 to Gen 1 consideration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
TXAG

TXAG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you wanted to have vehicles that kept value you wouldn't drive 6k miles a year or even own a Raptor. The Gen3s are far superior to Gen1s and you might regret going back.

I'm a car guy, and swap rides pretty often. Three-four years is about as long as I've owned a vehicle. I'm a financial advisor, so I try to manage the cost of my hobby. Guess there is some horse trader in my blood as well. My previous DD was a 2015 5.0 4x4 platinum F150, paid 34 for it and drove it 3 years and sold it for 38500. Crazy car market helped me with that. Before that had a 99 locked land cruiser I paid 7k for and sold it for 12k. Most I have lost on one was a 14 xlt 4x4 boost screw I bought new for 34k, sold it for 26.5 so lost about 2500 a year driving it. I own a 2000 4x4 Tundra that I love, paid 8k for it and it would bring 10-12 pretty easily in todays market. Might not ever sell that one. Guess I feel like I'm at a juncture with the 3rd gen, I can sell it now and be paid 5k for driving it a little over a year. Or I can Keep it a few years and it will be about like the 2014 as far as cost of ownership. My raptors a great truck, happy to keep it. I'll own a first gen at some point, maybe I get lucky and the prices come down between now and whenever that is.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm a financial advisor, so I try to manage the cost of my hobby.
Perfect. Mind sharing your graph of the cost of ownership vs the age of vehicle? Used to be buying a three-year-old and selling a seven-year-old would hit the sweet spot financially. But cars last a lot longer now and I've wondered how much the curve has shifted.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Perfect. Mind sharing your graph of the cost of ownership vs the age of vehicle? Used to be buying a three-year-old and selling a seven-year-old would hit the sweet spot financially. But cars last a lot longer now and I've wondered how much the curve has shifted.

Damn.

On the spot...

1674060665943.jpeg

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have a 2014 GEN1, had a GEN2 for a short period that I ultimately replaced with with one fast car then another but ultimately came back to my GEN1 as my daily and currently my only vehicle right now. It's obviously slower, has old tech and suspension that isn't gonna come close to the linked setup on the GEN3 but I kinda like the simplicity. It's not for everyone though. One of the aforementioned cars was a 2021 and I didn't like all the tech. I'm good with heat, AC, BT audio and power windows lol.

OP
OP
TXAG

TXAG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've seen and heard some of the general rules of thumb. I remember hearing years ago the consensus was to buy them at 2 years old and own them a long time. On the financial advice side it seems like you hear to buy used and drive for ten or more years. I don't subscribe to that idea, but understand whats behind it. I think it's more dependent on the particular vehicle and current market, thats how I have always approached it anyways. For my current truck I started looking late 2021. I had planned on buying the new Tundra, but was not blown away with the looks. In that market MSRP was pretty close to the best price you could buy any truck for. After pricing out a loaded sr5 tundra and XLT F150, there was no way I was going pay close to 60k or more for one. Not when a year or two before I could buy them for under 40. Raptors have always sold for close to MSRP in all markets, and held value well. So I built one out at around 68k and found a dealer with an allocation to order me one at MSRP. My plan at the time was that it would probably not cost me more than the 15 platinum to drive the next few years, and be a hell of a lot more fun. Sorry for the long winded response and no charts.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
I'm a car guy, and swap rides pretty often. Three-four years is about as long as I've owned a vehicle. I'm a financial advisor, so I try to manage the cost of my hobby. Guess there is some horse trader in my blood as well. My previous DD was a 2015 5.0 4x4 platinum F150, paid 34 for it and drove it 3 years and sold it for 38500. Crazy car market helped me with that. Before that had a 99 locked land cruiser I paid 7k for and sold it for 12k. Most I have lost on one was a 14 xlt 4x4 boost screw I bought new for 34k, sold it for 26.5 so lost about 2500 a year driving it. I own a 2000 4x4 Tundra that I love, paid 8k for it and it would bring 10-12 pretty easily in todays market. Might not ever sell that one. Guess I feel like I'm at a juncture with the 3rd gen, I can sell it now and be paid 5k for driving it a little over a year. Or I can Keep it a few years and it will be about like the 2014 as far as cost of ownership. My raptors a great truck, happy to keep it. I'll own a first gen at some point, maybe I get lucky and the prices come down between now and whenever that is.

See im the other way. I keep them as long as possible lol. Usually rust kills them cause it gets to a point i cant keep up. This truck has no rust and im being nit picky so it should last me a long time lol.

I also dont care about tech and this was a truck ive wanted for a long time so that’s another reason ill be holding on for the long run.

OP
OP
TXAG

TXAG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See im the other way. I keep them as long as possible lol. Usually rust kills them cause it gets to a point i cant keep up. This truck has no rust and im being nit picky so it should last me a long time lol.

I also dont care about tech and this was a truck ive wanted for a long time so that’s another reason ill be holding on for the long run.

I really think the 1st gen Raptor is a good one to own long term. They are cool trucks

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taliban tan lol! Dude if it's within reach hold out for an R, just IMHO but that's the only thing I'd give up my Gen1 for (in a heartbeat, shhh don't tell her). Unfortunately I don't think the buy 2-3 years old strategy is going to work for me there heh, much as I wish it would. On the flip side my '13 is far and away the best vehicle I've ever owned, I too will be keeping it indefinitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.