Gen 3 raptor won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorMY23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new one did same thing man. Picked it up on a Saturday and on Tuesday (sat until then) it wouldn't start (remote nowhere close). The brake pedal started bouncing up and down and errors lit up. Then it made some repeated thumping noise through the speakers (I recorded). After doing that for a minute everything stopped. No power. Dealership said "bad battery". If it happens again I won't be so friendly. I won't be a dik, but it will be clear that I expect a complete and total fix. I also won't wait to elevate.

Attachments

• 610AFF6A-1DC4-4233-9CB3-4B9AF534F663.jpeg
    610AFF6A-1DC4-4233-9CB3-4B9AF534F663.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 67

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s exactly what I showed the dealer. They say that it doesn’t fit within the build date range so there is no way that could be the problem.
That is true. If it’s not in the build date range the update won’t be available on the scan tool, since you already have the newer software. Dealers are told not to update modules unless directed to do so by a publication, because they can induce additional issues or complicate the current issue.

Have you opened a case with Ford corporate? Your dealer is clearly not making any effort to determine the root cause. My recommendation would be to contact Ford Customer Service and request that a field engineer visit the dealer to get your truck properly diagnosed and repaired. Every dealer has a local engineer assigned to them, it’s not like they need to fly out from Detroit.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the battery is underpowered? Just shooting from the hip here.
I have a 2019 Roush Stage 3 and that battery is a very weak battery for the car. Maybe an aftermarket/better battery would fix the issue? Just a thought.
Shouldn't have to replace a brand new battery though. Weird.
The batteries in these trucks are robust, they’re AGM and more than capable of the repeat engine starting events required by the Auto Start/Stop system. If the battery is discharging it’s due to an excessive draw, notable battery itself.

OP
OP
zboilla

zboilla

Reaction score
I am glad I'm not crazy. After 3 batteries you sure would think someone would think there might be a bigger problem. I LOVE Ford. However they are getting me on this one. Tough to pay so much money and have to carry a jump start box with you everywhere you go. I've spoken with Ford and they have told me to wait for it to happen again then drop it off and they will have their engineers look into it. Mine did the brake pedal dance, every warning known to man, including a front camera warning which I done even have. Last time it did it it just went into dee sleep mode. I think I caught it before it was actually dead.

Teraflx

Reaction score
My buddy picked his 2021 up about 2 weeks ago and within a week his battery was dead as well. The dealer replaced it, I will report back if it happens again. They dealer mentioned to him he was the second new Raptor that had the issue at their location.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am glad I'm not crazy. After 3 batteries you sure would think someone would think there might be a bigger problem. I LOVE Ford. However they are getting me on this one. Tough to pay so much money and have to carry a jump start box with you everywhere you go. I've spoken with Ford and they have told me to wait for it to happen again then drop it off and they will have their engineers look into it. Mine did the brake pedal dance, every warning known to man, including a front camera warning which I done even have. Last time it did it it just went into dee sleep mode. I think I caught it before it was actually dead.
The symptoms you’re seeing are caused by the low battery voltage. Modules will act erratically and power down once voltage becomes low enough. Glad that Ford is going to send and engineer, bring it in as soon as it goes into deep sleep mode, that means the battery is discharging. If you wait until it’s completely discharged, the draw may not return immediately afterward, which will prevent diagnosis.

Cmart

Reaction score
My new one did same thing man. Picked it up on a Saturday and on Tuesday (sat until then) it wouldn't start (remote nowhere close). The brake pedal started bouncing up and down and errors lit up. Then it made some repeated thumping noise through the speakers (I recorded). After doing that for a minute everything stopped. No power. Dealership said "bad battery". If it happens again I won't be so friendly. I won't be a dik, but it will be clear that I expect a complete and total fix. I also won't wait to elevate.
Heard this same thing from a guy on YouTube “Joe Knows Best” within 24hrs of him picking it up. Bad cell on the battery or something.

20174x4

Reaction score
Interesting. My Gen2 keys stay in my truck, in an alarm protected garage. Never had an issue
In my experience with anything battery related like this the dealership usually goes with the “key fob stored too close to vehicle” before the actual problem is identified and fixed (reference BMW 335xi).