Gen 3 Common issues we are now seeing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my 23 avalanche! At the 50 mile mark the dreaded wrench popped up on dash: powertrain/transmission malfunction, then went into limp mode. Turned truck off, and waited a few hours. Light then went away and hasn't come back up since. Any ideas?

lawraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got two warnings in the same day. Drove down a brick road 35 ish mph and then I received a Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power in the Ford App (Wonder if it shook something loose). Parked the truck to eat lunch then went to start the truck and Service Engine soon warning. The Raptor is limp mode now with no Turbo but drives without issue. Could be an issue with the wastgate solenoid...I have an appointment with the dealer on Wed.
Only 6k miles on my Raptor....

View attachment 403813
wild. got the same thing at 50 miles on the odometer, but then it went away after leaving the truck for a few hours

lawraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. I went to check this morning and the wrench was gone (Powertrain Malfunction) but drove it down the street then it came back on again....
Thats disheartening for sure. Hope mine doesnt come back on again. Told my dealership obviously and they stated they can't do anything about it until the light comes back on since they won't see any faults. Let me know if yours gets figured out please.

NinjaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats disheartening for sure. Hope mine doesnt come back on again. Told my dealership obviously and they stated they can't do anything about it until the light comes back on since they won't see any faults. Let me know if yours gets figured out please.

Just got a call back from the dealer about the Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power - it seems there was a program error and they updated it the software? Just FYI - I was still able to drive in all the modes. The wrench light would go off and on.

As for my other error: Service Engine Soon Warning - An electrical fault has occurred with the turbocharger wastegate position sensor circuit and its associated wiring. They are replacing one of the turbos with a new turbo and wastage. The part is now on order so it may take additional 2-3 days now.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got a call back from the dealer about the Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power - it seems there was a program error and they updated it the software? Just FYI - I was still able to drive in all the modes. The wrench light would go off and on.

As for my other error: Service Engine Soon Warning - An electrical fault has occurred with the turbocharger wastegate position sensor circuit and its associated wiring. They are replacing one of the turbos with a new turbo and wastage. The part is now on order so it may take additional 2-3 days now.
There is a TSB for the air inlet becoming restricted under acceleration, which starves the turbo and causes failure. If that’s the case, they should follow the TSB to replace the air inlet with a redesigned part. I believe Cobb (?) came out with an aftermarket solution as well to ensure there is no restriction.

NinjaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a TSB for the air inlet becoming restricted under acceleration, which starves the turbo and causes failure. If that’s the case, they should follow the TSB to replace the air inlet with a redesigned part. I believe Cobb (?) came out with an aftermarket solution as well to ensure there is no restriction.

Thank you for the info.. I tried searching for the TSB but there is just so many for the F150.. I also found an interesting thread on the F150 forums that it could also be software related but others has the whole turbo assembly replaced as well.