Gen 3.52 R shutting down, like completely

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which now is making me think of the torsion..? center clutch pac??
I don't believe you have either of those. They took the Torsen away, and I don't think there has ever been a clutch plate style LSD in a Raptor. from the factory If it only makes the sound in 4A/H/L and doesn't in 2Hi that would take alignment, tires, wheels, brakes, suspension out of the equation. How do those CV boots look? There have been some early failures on here. Also I know the gen2s would run the front axles when cold for a few mins, Im not sure gen 3's/Rs work the same way in that regard. Have you ever noticed it in 2Hi? Apologies if you've already covered that...I tried to read thoroughly.lol

OP
OP
highway420

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe you have either of those. They took the Torsen away, and I don't think there has ever been a clutch plate style LSD in a Raptor. from the factory If it only makes the sound in 4A/H/L and doesn't in 2Hi that would take alignment, tires, wheels, brakes, suspension out of the equation. How do those CV boots look? There have been some early failures on here. Also I know the gen2s would run the front axles when cold for a few mins, Im not sure gen 3's/Rs work the same way in that regard. Have you ever noticed it in 2Hi? Apologies if you've already covered that...I tried to read thoroughly.lol
I did mention 2h.. it does not seem to make the noise. as far as the Torsen.. that sucks it does not have it any more. does this mean it's a totally open front diff now?

and for the plates, I was referring to the 4A mech in the Tcase.. Does it not use that setup for all wheel?
CVs look fine.. it only has 2790 miles on and have only gone to off road once, and that was in pismo. I've gone to baja 3 times among other places and never had this issue. IWEs never gave an issue. Those sound like they engage just fine.. Starting to think it's something more central.. is why I am mentioning the 4A part..

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s an open diff with traction management with brakes to mimic a LSD. The aggressiveness changes depending on modes etc, but it is definitely an open diff. Does it do the noise the same amount if its 4A vs 4Hi? The TC case from my basic understanding uses a clutch plate.

I’m always a “fluids are easy and might show a clue” guy. Drain the TC fluid and see? If you’re not feeling that noise in the steering thats good info too.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible the front diff has gone bad already? Just read someone else's story and it turned out dealer had to replace it.. if it was either hub, think the noise would be much different and louder, right? almost sounds like a bad u joint.. when my jeep had that issue, it sounded similar now that I think about it..
@FordTechOne please listen to the videos and let me know your thoughts on this.. thank you.
Sounds like an IWE is dragging. Should be a relatively straightforward fix.

OP
OP
highway420

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s an open diff with traction management with brakes to mimic a LSD. The aggressiveness changes depending on modes etc, but it is definitely an open diff. Does it do the noise the same amount if its 4A vs 4Hi? The TC case from my basic understanding uses a clutch plate.

I’m always a “fluids are easy and might show a clue” guy. Drain the TC fluid and see? If you’re not feeling that noise in the steering thats good info too.
Its a brand new truck, hopefully the fluid shows no prob.. yes.. the 4a 'on demand' system uses clutches and the the 'hi' locks in the front drive... i have only put it 4hi and NOT turned as I do not want to stress out the system on dry asphalt
Sounds like an IWE is dragging. Should be a relatively straightforward fix.
still back to the 'ol IWEs.. huh.. ok. these are electric now, right? so dealer would just have to swap it's solenoid then? or is there a way for me to address it?

do they disconnect while in 4A and you turn? I thought the Xfer case only would be the mechanism to relieve the torque while on pavement.

I should now mention that last night I tightened up the ******* and put in it 4H on road.. no noise, not like that at least. But before I did that, I still drove around for a min in 4A and it would sometimes make the noise going straight..

I guess it's time to make the 'call' to the dealer then.. grrrr...

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
still back to the 'ol IWEs.. huh.. ok. these are electric now, right? so dealer would just have to swap it's solenoid then? or is there a way for me to address it?

do they disconnect while in 4A and you turn? I thought the Xfer case only would be the mechanism to relieve the torque while on pavement.

I should now mention that last night I tightened up the ******* and put in it 4H on road.. no noise, not like that at least. But before I did that, I still drove around for a min in 4A and it would sometimes make the noise going straight..

I guess it's time to make the 'call' to the dealer then.. grrrr...
Yes, they’re electric. They remain engaged when you’re in any 4WD mode; the speed difference between the front wheels is handled by the differential.

OP
OP
highway420

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they’re electric. They remain engaged when you’re in any 4WD mode; the speed difference between the front wheels is handled by the differential.
yea.. I hear them clicking when i change modes.. and thanks for the breakdown.. I have pretty good basic mechanical skills.. I built all my jeeps/trucks including axles, lockers etc.. this is the first AWD system I have dealt with and was wondering if the hubs would even waste the energy to disconnect and reconnect. Does not make sense, but figured I'd ask.

If it is the IWE, then it's only 'stressing' out when I turn? I was starting to hear the noise going straight last night. (insert gay joke here..)

So i should make appt w/ dealer and mention IWEs.. Just thought I'd feel something more in the steering wheel..

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like your R is f o o k e d. I'll take it off your hands in an even-steven trade for my Gen3 lowly 35 which has been flawless for 30k miles.

j/k.

Hope you get it worked out.

OP
OP
highway420

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your R is f o o k e d. I'll take it off your hands in an even-steven trade for my Gen3 lowly 35 which has been flawless for 30k miles.

j/k.

Hope you get it worked out.
LOL.. I'll give you discount! for U onlyyy..... 135K low milage..only 2900. already ahem, "broken in" ..