Gen 1 suspension overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Starting my research on upgrading the suspension on my Gen 1. Suspension is currently stock minus top perch, a small lift block in the rear, RPG outer tie rod ends, 37x13.50x17 tires, and Roadmaster Active Suspension. Don't necessarily need anything insane, but definitely will spend the money on whatever is worth it. Was leaning towards Fox 3.0 coilovers to replace the top perch setup, Fox 3.0 shocks, Deaver +3's to replace the stock leafs and lift block, some sort of adjustable rear bump stops that would also replace the Roadmaster Active Suspension, and some sort of adjustable front upper arms. Thoughts?

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deavers were one of the best upgrades i made. I'm stock except for Geisers on mid and Rogue tie rods. Looking back i would have saved the money on tie rods as they don't give any performance value except they look cool. I've heard the on-road ride with the 3.0s is a lot worse than stock but off-road it feels great but i've heard TSW can re-valve them to make them feel better. If i ever did UCA's I'd go with baja kits and get the ones with bushings at the frame mount. As for the bump stops, i had the SVC kit but never got around to installing it as i never hit the OEM bumps, so i sold the kit as i couldn't justify that either. UCA's are bling as well and all the heim joints wear out a lot faster and are very expensive to rebuild when they start making noise. I hate to poo poo all your ideas but depending on what you primarily use the truck for i'd do minimal upgrades unless you absolutely need them.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i didnt have much luck with deavers, but if you go that route, make sure you get the hd springs.,i had a custom leaf pack made for me. its a 13 leaf pack. works well with my truck. have had it almost 5 years now. in perspective deaver +3 lasted me 4 months.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Deavers were one of the best upgrades i made. I'm stock except for Geisers on mid and Rogue tie rods. Looking back i would have saved the money on tie rods as they don't give any performance value except they look cool. I've heard the on-road ride with the 3.0s is a lot worse than stock but off-road it feels great but i've heard TSW can re-valve them to make them feel better. If i ever did UCA's I'd go with baja kits and get the ones with bushings at the frame mount. As for the bump stops, i had the SVC kit but never got around to installing it as i never hit the OEM bumps, so i sold the kit as i couldn't justify that either. UCA's are bling as well and all the heim joints wear out a lot faster and are very expensive to rebuild when they start making noise. I hate to poo poo all your ideas but depending on what you primarily use the truck for i'd do minimal upgrades unless you absolutely need them.

Deavers from what I had read from people seemed to be a no-brainer, and Geisers for sure if you were running stock shocks. I have the RPG rod ends to clear the Alcon brakes in the front. Stock tie rod ends too close for comfort to the rotors. Haha As far as the shocks I just hadn't done a ton of research on them yet, but I know some people had complained about bypass noise on road. I was thinking of getting the SVC bump stop kit as it seems to be the popular one. I would get the UCA's that use bushings at the frame mount for sure.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i didnt have much luck with deavers, but if you go that route, make sure you get the hd springs.,i had a custom leaf pack made for me. its a 13 leaf pack. works well with my truck. have had it almost 5 years now. in perspective deaver +3 lasted me 4 months.

Who made your leaf pack? What was the issue with the Deavers?

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen him drive. He drove the $hit out of a stock truck. Convinced me i don’t need any of the aftermarket stuff that’s out there. Maybe if you’re running the dunes or whoops but for the high speed Wyoming roads and the fore roads around here, stock works for me