Gen 1 coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Myth buster time, the coil packs do not need to be changed on any sort of schedule. If you disagree with what I just said tell me where in the ford shop manual or any other manual this is stated. Do coils go bad? Yes on occasion and when they go bad it needs to be replaced but they are like the many other electrical components on the truck. Replacing the coils is a feel good practice that is for the most part a waist of money. Coil packs are pretty robust and usually the the component that connects to the coil is what goes bad such as spring and resistor, plug wire or spark plug. I wish people were more informed on this subject.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Myth buster time, the coil packs do not need to be changed on any sort of schedule. If you disagree with what I just said tell me where in the ford shop manual or any other manual this is stated. Do coils go bad? Yes on occasion and when they go bad it needs to be replaced but they are like the many other electrical components on the truck. Replacing the coils is a feel good practice that is for the most part a waist of money. Coil packs are pretty robust and usually the the component that connects to the coil is what goes bad such as spring and resistor, plug wire or spark plug. I wish people were more informed on this subject.
This is true to a point. if you let the coil arc to long it has ribs that hold the resistor pill. the ribs are easily destroyed by the arc. they are pot metal. once the ribs that hold the pill in place is destroyed. The coil Its self is still good but the rest is junk and can not be fixed. you will need a new coil. Ask me how I know....LOL

This all can be avoided water by water test the boots. while the truck is running spray each boot where it enters the head if it arcs replace the boot, pill, and spring. If it arching dry it might be to late. You will probably need a new coil.

In @Bozz case all of his coils were arching dry and wet. I had pills and boots. we tried to repair one. that didn't work. the inside of the coil ribs were completely Gone. the pill had no support. where they all this way? IDK

So you have choices get pills, boots, springs. rebuild the ones you can. order the ones you can't. just seams a lot easier to just replace them all for less down time. not every one can afford there truck out of commission while they wait for the parts to come. Don't forget you might need 2 rights and a Left. so there is that also. They are not BI Se xual

Last edited: