GEN 1 Gen 1 Coils - eBay (Part 1)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I recently had a new [remanufactured] engine installed in my 2014 (I'll do a separate post on that topic) and have been getting random misfires. In an attempt to rule out things I wanted to replace coils to see if that might be the issue. I have new boots, resistor pellets, plugs and wires, but still have the original coils (126k). I saw where another forum member had tried out the eBay cheepies, so I figured for $150 I could eliminate coils with possibly counterfeit coils (they are) and then buy the $800 OEM set later.

I ordered these for about $160 after discounts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2963574387...d=link&campid=5338805043&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

They were shipped from a warehouse called Online Seller RMA in Hebron, KY even though the eBay listing says Houston, TX. I suspect that most or all of the eBay sellers of 'Motorcraft' coils are this same place. Clearly 8 coils for less than the price of 2 OEMs are probably suspect.

The good news is that they do actually work and I saw a big improvement in MPG and no misfires so far. But these are likely not actually OEM. See below but two glaring differences are the eBay cheepies do not contain the resistor pellets and the eBays weigh significantly less than the real coils. The exterior would be nearly impossible to differentiate from OEM without a side by side. Someone went to a lot of work to replicate.

First clue is the label on the bag is misspelled -

IMG_0988 2.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

Taking the boot off we find the resistor pellet is missing and is replaced by a longer spring to make up the space (EBay on left, OEM on right)-

IMG_0976.jpg

Looking down into the coil where the resistor pellet should be we see the space is too big and the pellet doesn't sit in there straight -

IMG_0974.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: