Gen 1 as the daily?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnghost

Reaction score
Welcome, and nice colour choice! I too recently purchased a gen1 and although not as stock or clean as yours, I love it. It is also my one and only ride and has been super reliable mechanically and with how often I need to refuel it! I too looked up all the years of raptors, and initially the gen1 wasn’t my first choice (I love the looks of the gen2). The reliability factor and ease of maintenance drew me to the gen1. The looks have really brown on me and now I’m am fully satisfied I made the correct choice. Enjoy your truck I know I throughly enjoy mine!

jeffthe1

Reaction score
This is my 13', 244,000 miles, it still has original shocks never rebuilt, original motor/trans etc. the only things that have been replaced was the drive shaft and the rear end. It was my step dad's daily for 10 years. Went for a short off stroll when brand new otherwise has been a pavement queen.

Attachments

• IMG_20240615_200927632~2.jpg
    IMG_20240615_200927632~2.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 12

drpkelly

Reaction score
Been on the hunt for a Gen 2 for a while but never pulled the trigger. A 14’ with 77k came up locally at a large dealership and decided to just see what they were all about

Boy was I impressed, much more than on any of the Gen 2’s I drove. So impressed that I’m considering trading my 20’ XLT FX4 straight across for this 14’. They want $38k for the raptor. Very clean in and out, drives and handles awesome, no rust anywhere (AZ and Texas truck), nothing leaking other than some seepage from the rear diff (maybe from when they filled it last?), no marks on the skid plates or lower control arms, etc. Had no intentions of making an older truck like this my daily but was really impressed by it

But being 6 years older and double the mileage I have on my 20’ I have some concerns. This would be my only vehicle and there are times when at the drop of the hat I may drive 500+ miles and need a reliable vehicle.

Looking for honest feedback (give it to me straight please lol) from guys that have been around these 1st gen’s for a while and used them as your daily. Am I making a dumb move? lol
I have a Gen 1, 2012, 6.2L. I just turned 271,400, other than normal maintenance I had one (1) lower ball joint that was too worn out to have the vehicle aligned. Since I had to replace one ball joint I knew the other ball joints would need replacing soon, so I had all four (4) control arms replaced (ball joints are an integral part of the control arm) and never realized how much difference and how much tighter and handling would be. No major engine work (e.g. cam chain) and the same exhaust system. It still runs fine and has no rust (Virginia, snows once every 4 or 5 years for 2 or 3 days). I am very satisfied with my Gen 1 and will hang on to it.

MCJEFE

Reaction score
I DD my low mileage 13. Bought it in Vegas Jan 23 and drove it home to TX no prob. Only issue I've had not related to being hit in an accident last Dec was the sunroof drain. These trucks are more than solid in my opinion, take care of it and it'll take care of you. Enjoy it!

Louisiana Barefoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing I could find is some rear diff seepage (not from the pinion), no drips on the floor after 20 hours sitting in my garage so I’m thinking of cleaning it off and seeing if it is leaking or if it came from when it was refilled.
While I'm not a mechanic, only mechanically inclined as a do-it-yourselfer, that looks more like a gasket issue. My '14SE has 151K miles, is not a DD, and 3.5 years ago, I paid $32K with 136K miles on it. Drove home from Dallas 515 miles non-stop, except for 1 gas stop. Didn't know about Fuse 27 at the time, but found out soon after, luckily close to home. Replaced that myself easily for $30(Amazon) and (YouTube). I changed my differential cover with one from Summit Racing (#SDH-10023539) and gasket (LUB-LLR-F975) at 146K only because I didn't know when it had last been serviced. I chose that cover because it doesn't have to be removed to drain the oil.... And the Safety Recall Notice 24S37/ NHTSA Recall 24V444 was just performed 3 weeks ago at the local Ford dealer at no cost. Took about 45 minutes. You've got a nice truck in spite of the tire shine that should give you years of pleasure if you maintain it properly.

OP
OP
F

F1502raptor

Reaction score
Gen 1 is a Great solid truck. I have 190,000 miles on it all it needs is routine maintenance stuff. Mine is a 2011, only parts I have replaced on it were the shocks and Molded lead frame just recently crapped out on it but no biggie in getting it replaced and only 1 coil pack went out on it. Thats it just routine maintenance meaning all fluids and plugs. Like someone mentioned before it just doesn't have the techy stuff. Im not a techy guy. Its more important for me to have good Reliability and has more enough power to get in trouble with. The 4:10 gears really throws it around pretty good. I added a little bolt on HP with Kooks Long Tube Headers and Roush CAI and custom tune on a Eddy Current Dyno and it Really Woke it up

My truck came with the roush CAI. Wondering about a replacement filter, mine is still in good shape but not a huge fan of air filters that need to be oiled. Are you aware of any dry filters that fit the CAI?

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck came with the roush CAI. Wondering about a replacement filter, mine is still in good shape but not a huge fan of air filters that need to be oiled. Are you aware of any dry filters that fit the CAI?
Nope. I actually like the reusable kind. They last forever. Just clean em and service them properly. After ya spray on the oil, dampen off the excess and let it sit for a day and again dampen off any excess and reinstall

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran a dry on my Roush Raptor.
I believe it was a Donaldson filter made for A&E or S&B cant remember now.

As for using a G1 for a daily..ABSOFUCKINLUTELY!!!
I am on GEN 1 #4

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a dry on my Roush Raptor.
I believe it was a Donaldson filter made for A&E or S&B cant remember now.

As for using a G1 for a daily..ABSOFUCKINLUTELY!!!
I am on GEN 1 #4
Do you mean they make a dry type of conical filter for it or you just never oiled it