FRONT END STILL GRINDIND AFTER RCV INSTALL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toddster

Reaction score
Hope somebody can offer an opinion. I have removed teh IWE's and replaced them with RCBV Eliminators. I thought the probelm was fixed. The grinding I was hearing was intermittenet and only occurred after prolonged riving at high speeds. After stopping, it was gone. I assumed this was vaccuum related and the reason I just removed the IWE's. I had the actuators replaced and the check valve, prior to instaslling the RCV's. Now, after loing drives (45 mins or more) at high speeds, the grinding is back. It is on both sides and is not as vicious as it was before the RCV's, but it is still pretty significant. It goes away after the truck is stopped.

Hubs were replaced at initial time of incident 2 years ago, probably less than 10k miles.

Any thoughts what else could be the problem. Vacuum to hubs has been disconnected and capped off

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bad RCV would be my thought. IMO. You traded one pretty good system for a worse system. I have warned against this before. You are putting a lot of stress on other components. not meant to be stressed. altho the IWE system is not perfect by any stretch. manual lockouts being the best.... but you cant do them on the raptor. IWE is better than the direction you went. Again IMO.
I am kinda surprised you got 10k out of them. You might try and find a better brand of IWE delete. I am sure there is a good one out there. but probably will cost a lot more than 2 $120 dollar IWE and a $55 dollar new vacuum line set.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toddster

Toddster

Reaction score
Im wondering how an RCV can be bad? It's just a solid metal sleeve. I read that it might lead to decreased life of cv axle, lower mpg and some decrease in HP. I'm not comprehending how a solid piece of metal "goes bad". Not saying you are wrong, and thanks for the feedback, just saying I don't understand

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im wondering how an RCV can be bad? It's just a solid metal sleeve. I read that it might lead to decreased life of cv axle, lower mpg and some decrease in HP. I'm not comprehending how a solid piece of metal "goes bad". Not saying you are wrong, and thanks for the feedback, just saying I don't understand
That piece of metal locks the axel to the hub. how? That I don't know. but that is what happens. What could go wrong? lots depending how the hub is now married to the axel. In the old days Not all manual lockouts were/are created equal. You are dealing with the same thing. except you can't turn it off. witch will cause more wear to everything from the transfer case forward. and I mean everything. driveshaft, Unjoint, pinion, ring, spider, axel, your lock up, hub. think I got them all. well.... seals.

OP
OP
Toddster

Toddster

Reaction score
I just installed the eliminators in May. I had not driven the truck very much at all, until a week ago. Then I moved to Missouri, so I drove from ABQ to here. I changed the hubs and had control arms replaced in the last two years

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, atleast you know its not the IWE making the noise. Could be a number of things with all the moving parts now. May be a good idea to check/change the front Dif fluid. Fluid would show if there is any metal. That would be a good indicator that you may need a front bearing/seal kit on the front Dif.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just installed the eliminators in May. I had not driven the truck very much at all, until a week ago. Then I moved to Missouri, so I drove from ABQ to here. I changed the hubs and had control arms replaced in the last two years
So did you think you had it fixed and you realize you didn't? Do you think that is happening? if so you might need to go down a different diagnostic path. like @Antho suggested.