Front Bumper from Tough Country

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda knew you would. LOL

But with a name like double tap... you've gotta be a BAMF.

lol... I've been accused of the MF part before, not sure about the BA though.

Whenever I ear double tap I think of zombies. Hit em twice to make
Sure they're down haha

-Posted with my iPhone.

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. :)

I am a fan of winch bumpers but that does not look right. I am currently working with a company to produce an aluminum winch type bumper. Very early stages right now.

If you haven't already, perhaps make contact with the folks at Aluminess (Aluminum Bumpers - Tire Racks - Off Road Products - Aluminess Products, Inc.) and see if they'd be interested. Their gear for the FJ Cruiser is pretty damn nice and very light weight.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....Not alot of Texans on here is there?.....

If I am going to spend around a G for a 'new' bumper, when there is nothing actually 'wrong' with my stock bumper, I wanna get something that can not only improve the cosmetics of the truck, but also help my wallet.

If I had this bumper on my truck, my insurance deductable goes from the grand it is out now (I am dumb, i know) to the price of a little black spray paint. And with the Kamikaze Deer we have in my part of the map, these bumpers are very common, even on half tons. And in one 'good' winter, this 'deer punch' style bumper could pay for itself.

I don't think you could say that about the other 'bumpers' on the market. They seem to be the truck equivalent of a ricer's fiberglass bodykit.

And as far as cosemtics, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That said let's remember that before these 'baja trucks' were 'baja' they were trucks (bent frames and all). What is wrong with treating them as such?

Many of the bumpers on the market for these trucks are designed to improve approach angle while sacrificing strength of the front of the vehicle. They also provide no front corner protection.

This is all super great when you are driving a truck that has majority of the body pieces made out of fiberglass or plastic. And all those fiberglass pieces are unique to the Raptor (read: pricey).

Many of the other front 'bumpers' are nothing more than a steel plate, 1 inch tubing, couple welds, and some paint? And they charge $800-$1200??? For something that if ever got called to be a bumper, would probably do OK on a center hit, but would not protect anything on the front corners.

Now I do realize that Missouri and eastern Oklahoma have large amounts of 'baja' style sand dunes, and such an extreme approach angle is necessary for the daily commute. But here in west Texas, I need something more for my geographic region and lifestyle.

Thanks,
--Chris

Chris,

We actually have a TON of people from Texas on this forum, I'd know.

I myself live in El Paso, which is as far west as you can possibly go in Texas.

I personally disagree (in a friendly manner) with some of your statements. In terms of a ranchhand-style bumper being more geographically suitable, in my part of west Texas, you either have soft-sand dune-style desert or you have rocky mountainous high-desert. In both geographic scenarios I prefer a pre-runner style, but then again, my goal with my Raptor is offroading FAST. Therefore, things like approach angle and weight are important to me. Texas is obviously massive, so maybe your area in west Texas differs in terrain, or you have different offroad preferences, but out here in west west WEST Texas, it's ALL desert... High-speed Raptor Paradise.

As far as corner coverage, I find my setup to be adequate. What more could you really want? Tire coverage??? ....not me, no Sir, the last thing I need is some big ass low-slung bumper corner digging in the dirt when I'm in a flexy scenario or landing a jump.

I had my bumper custom-built and ordered the thickest plating the shop carries (not a standard feature) and I've hit large desert brush AND small TREES offroad (at the corners) and have nothing more than scratches to show for it, although mine has more corner coverage than most pre-runner bumpers. As for the center plate, you are absolutely correct it's strong.... I've fallen into a hole made of sand and rock that took me from around 40-50 miles an hour to a dead halt, and I've only got a medium sized dent and scrape-age to show for that (skid plate only, tubing completely unaffected).

I've hit a deer before and it caused $5,000 in damage to the vehicle I was driving at the time (a car, not the Rap), and I'm confident that the bumper I have would mow a deer's ass down if push came to shove.... I highly doubt the bumper would take anything more than cosmetic damage (I've got 12 mounting points on this bitch, and it's sturdy) the light bars might be a different story though.

I wonder if you may be underestimating the strength of pre-runner bumpers like mine....?? If your basis for comparison between the ranch hand style and pre runner style is the Raptor's STOCK bumper, then I'm not surprised you feel the way you do.... The stock skid plate is a flimsy *************.... particularly compared to what an aftermarket shop can set you up with.

I'm not saying that my bumper is as strong as a ranch hand, tough country, etc..... But I also DON'T want it to be. Again, my Raptor is about offroading FAST, on a weekly basis.... I can't afford to carry that kind of weight up front.... I'd be nose-diving all over the place in the whoops.

For what it's worth, I've owned other aftermarket bumpers and grill guards on SUVs in the past, and i have several friends and acquaintances who've installed bumpers like your posts depict, but they've put them on lifted 250s, 350s, Cummins, Duramax 2500s, Duallies, etc... which in my opinion are a more practical application and platform for that type of bumper than a Raptor could ever be.

I'm not knocking your choice, if you choose to go for that setup, its your money, your truck, and I respect that... I'm always open to opinions that don't match mine. But when I read your post about it being a better setup for a Raptor in west Texas, I felt compelled to speak up and say that I completely disagree. I just feel like the combination of long-travel suspension and a ranch hand style bumper are parts from completely different offroad realms that wouldn't mesh well from a performance standpoint, at least in the terrain I run out here.

-Ben

Just for the sake of reference, here are some pics of my bumper when it was brand new.

147.jpg

148.jpg

149.jpg

134.jpg

142.jpg

138.jpg

141.jpg

OP
OP
verytalonted

verytalonted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris,

We actually have a TON of people from Texas on this forum, I'd know.

I myself live in El Paso, which is as far west as you can possibly go in Texas.

I personally disagree (in a friendly manner) with some of your statements. In terms of a ranchhand-style bumper being more geographically suitable, in my part of west Texas, you either have soft-sand dune-style desert or you have rocky mountainous high-desert. In both geographic scenarios I prefer a pre-runner style, but then again, my goal with my Raptor is offroading FAST. Therefore, things like approach angle and weight are important to me. Texas is obviously massive, so maybe your area in west Texas differs in terrain, or you have different offroad preferences, but out here in west west WEST Texas, it's ALL desert... High-speed Raptor Paradise.

As far as corner coverage, I find my setup to be adequate. What more could you really want? Tire coverage??? ....not me, no Sir, the last thing I need is some big ass low-slung bumper corner digging in the dirt when I'm in a flexy scenario or landing a jump.

I had my bumper custom-built and ordered the thickest plating the shop carries (not a standard feature) and I've hit large desert brush AND small TREES offroad (at the corners) and have nothing more than scratches to show for it, although mine has more corner coverage than most pre-runner bumpers. As for the center plate, you are absolutely correct it's strong.... I've fallen into a hole made of sand and rock that took me from around 40-50 miles an hour to a dead halt, and I've only got a medium sized dent and scrape-age to show for that (skid plate only, tubing completely unaffected).

I've hit a deer before and it caused $5,000 in damage to the vehicle I was driving at the time (a car, not the Rap), and I'm confident that the bumper I have would mow a deer's ass down if push came to shove.... I highly doubt the bumper would take anything more than cosmetic damage (I've got 12 mounting points on this bitch, and it's sturdy) the light bars might be a different story though.

I wonder if you may be underestimating the strength of pre-runner bumpers like mine....?? If your basis for comparison between the ranch hand style and pre runner style is the Raptor's STOCK bumper, then I'm not surprised you feel the way you do.... The stock skid plate is a flimsy *************.... particularly compared to what an aftermarket shop can set you up with.

I'm not saying that my bumper is as strong as a ranch hand, tough country, etc..... But I also DON'T want it to be. Again, my Raptor is about offroading FAST, on a weekly basis.... I can't afford to carry that kind of weight up front.... I'd be nose-diving all over the place in the whoops.

For what it's worth, I've owned other aftermarket bumpers and grill guards on SUVs in the past, and i have several friends and acquaintances who've installed bumpers like your posts depict, but they've put them on lifted 250s, 350s, Cummins, Duramax 2500s, Duallies, etc... which in my opinion are a more practical application and platform for that type of bumper than a Raptor could ever be.

I'm not knocking your choice, if you choose to go for that setup, its your money, your truck, and I respect that... I'm always open to opinions that don't match mine. But when I read your post about it being a better setup for a Raptor in west Texas, I felt compelled to speak up and say that I completely disagree. I just feel like the combination of long-travel suspension and a ranch hand style bumper are parts from completely different offroad realms that wouldn't mesh well from a performance standpoint, at least in the terrain I run out here.

-Ben

Just for the sake of reference, here are some pics of my bumper when it was brand new.

Wow, just wow. That was the most itellegent anti-my opinion I have EVER read. No Sarcasm at all. Very nice sir. Well thought out and informative.

And yes El Paso is def West Texas. No doubt there. But to me that is more south New Mexico, as far as terrain. (I also think of Beaumont and Orange TX as west Louisiana) You terrain is more what the Raptor was made to do. I am in San Angelo and we don't have dunes or sand. Here we have alot of flat land and thick not-tall forests of Mesquite trees and low line brush. We have lots of crazy deer and ranches.

My goal of my Raptor is to make a "Angelo/Petroplex" area of West TX truck. I think that this bumper would provide superior protection to the things my truck would ever see. I am not into high speed dessert stuff (Mostly because of lack of terrain) And am really in to Ranchhand stuff, as that is what we do to trucks out here. It is all about heavy duty trucks out here that are eager to work.

Thanks again for the great response.

--Chris

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, just wow. That was the most itellegent anti-my opinion I have EVER read. No Sarcasm at all. Very nice sir. Well thought out and informative.

And yes El Paso is def West Texas. No doubt there. But to me that is more south New Mexico, as far as terrain. (I also think of Beaumont and Orange TX as west Louisiana) You terrain is more what the Raptor was made to do. I am in San Angelo and we don't have dunes or sand. Here we have alot of flat land and thick not-tall forests of Mesquite trees and low line brush. We have lots of crazy deer and ranches.

My goal of my Raptor is to make a "Angelo/Petroplex" area of West TX truck. I think that this bumper would provide superior protection to the things my truck would ever see. I am not into high speed dessert stuff (Mostly because of lack of terrain) And am really in to Ranchhand stuff, as that is what we do to trucks out here. It is all about heavy duty trucks out here that are eager to work.

Thanks again for the great response.

--Chris

Right on Chris, I'm glad you could appreciate my post. I too appreciate your stance on the matter. Even though our desires and goals for our own Rap setups differ quite a bit, I'm not about to diss your idea. Honestly it may not be my cup of tea, and mine may not be yours, but I like that we're able to respect each others' differences in opinion and speak logically about the subject. For me, that's what FRF is all about..... well that, and the dirty humor :)

I do agree with your southern New Mexico comment as far as my local terrain goes, although I've always thought of it as more like an extension of Old Mexico's terrain... but its all the same really.

I'm curious to see how your truck turns out. How serious are you about pulling the trigger on that monster??

Raptoyd11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That ADD bumper looks great on the Raptor. Definitely have my eye on one of those for mine just need a raise at work, yeah right.

fillmoreranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am impressed by both of you guys. Great arguments presented and defended.

Just to throw some more into the game, Road Armor is working on a (first-time for them) F150 front and rear bumper replacement, which reportedly is near completion. Immediately afterwards, they want to do a set for the Raptor. I may be providing my Raptor as the test mule for their development and fitment. We just established communication and will work out details this week.

Bottom line... We are starting to see more and more companies developing non-prerunner front bumpers for the Raptor. That must mean there is a consumer demand for such a product.

Chocolate, strawberry and vanilla ice cream... Everyone gets a flavor they like.

Again, well played gentlemen.

Reaction score
Love it or hate it there is a demand for these style bumpers. We have pre-sold quite a few. Here is one we are working on.

ADDGuard.jpg