forscan \ Glarefree headlight question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weather was much better tonight. Took the Raptor out and tested the Glare Free lighting. It still shows the blue high beam when it engages them but the transition is smoother both engaging and disengaging. The build date shows 5/22, so at first I thought “great, it doesn’t have all the parts and I’ve got automatic high beams activated” but in watching the light action as I come up behind someone or have oncoming traffic, you can see the shades working to limit where the high beam is going and no flashes from the oncoming traffic about my headlights (Sorry I didn’t get any video). So it’s working but apparently not like everyone else’s at least on the instrument panel. Chalk it up to one of those quirks that you get with Ford and Forscan.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Weather was much better tonight. Took the Raptor out and tested the Glare Free lighting. It still shows the blue high beam when it engages them but the transition is smoother both engaging and disengaging. The build date shows 5/22, so at first I thought “great, it doesn’t have all the parts and I’ve got automatic high beams activated” but in watching the light action as I come up behind someone or have oncoming traffic, you can see the shades working to limit where the high beam is going and no flashes from the oncoming traffic about my headlights (Sorry I didn’t get any video). So it’s working but apparently not like everyone else’s at least on the instrument panel. Chalk it up to one of those quirks that you get with Ford and Forscan.
Great…that it’s working but the blue high beam indicator “should not“ be coming on. Did you ever reset the APIM?

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's wild. Definitely not how it's supposed to be but hey, I guess if it works it works.

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's wild. Definitely not how it's supposed to be but hey, I guess if it works it works.
I know. Looking back through this thread, Post #17 has a picture of the Edge manual saying the blue light coming on is normal when in Glare Free mode. Granted a Raptor isn’t an Edge but maybe as part of the chip shortage, I got an Edge CPU :D To add to the mystery, the Lincoln Fold and Global Windows up and down that others have successfully gotten to work on their Raptors, don’t work on mine. Who knows?

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know. Looking back through this thread, Post #17 has a picture of the Edge manual saying the blue light coming on is normal when in Glare Free mode. Granted a Raptor isn’t an Edge but maybe as part of the chip shortage, I got an Edge CPU :D To add to the mystery, the Lincoln Fold and Global Windows up and down that others have successfully gotten to work on their Raptors, don’t work on mine. Who knows?
I really want to go out on a limb here and say that there really is no difference in which chips. Any vehicles get. A little ways. Back in my post history I mentioned that my Mustang has a whole lot of options for things that don't even exist on Mustangs, it's just simply in there because so many components are shared throughout multiple vehicles.

That said, it's still really interesting that yours lights up the high beam indicator. It's either in this thread or another one, and again I have posted multiple times in it, where someone else was having it. It illuminate, they went back in and verified some changes, I want to say inside of the APIM, where they either had a three and they needed a four or the other way around.

Regardless, hey, it's working!

I wish that the global open and close would do all four windows, but I guess the front two is good enough.

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was joking about the Edge CPU/chip set but get your point. Part of the reason I had gone back and checked the entries to make sure they were correct after resetting the APIM module was the situation earlier in the thread you mentioned but they were all correct. Another oddity I found was that the stalk operation for the brights were still there. i could push the stalk forward the flash high beams (that appears to be normal for Glare Free operation) but when I pull the stalk back, it will drop out of Glare Free operation and leave the brights on (green light no A and blue high beam light). Another stalk pull and it turns the brights off and remains in normal light operation and a third pull and you‘re back to Glare Free operation. The light mode selector dial is in Auto for this. From what I’ve read, this shouldn’t be the case with the exception of the flash option. So something isn’t right but where or what isn’t clear. Since it does seem to otherwise function as expected, I’m not going to mess with it further and maybe after a few start stop cycles, it with come around. :rolleyes:

As to the other “strangeness”, I agree and understand that just because an option is listed in Forscan it doesn’t mean that it is available on your vehicle (many of the police related options like maximum speed come to mind). I just find it strange when options like global open/close windows or the Lincoln Experience mirror fold work on other Raptors but don’t work on my vehicle. Maybe having the 801A option package like mine has makes things different?

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another oddity I found was that the stalk operation for the brights were still there. i could push the stalk forward the flash high beams (that appears to be normal for Glare Free operation) but when I pull the stalk back, it will drop out of Glare Free operation and leave the brights on (green light no A and blue high beam light). Another stalk pull and it turns the brights off and remains in normal light operation and a third pull and you‘re back to Glare Free operation. The light mode selector dial is in Auto for this. From what I’ve read, this shouldn’t be the case with the exception of the flash option.
Either your thinking is backward, or your truck is. That's not an insult, I just don't know how else to put it. Pressing forward on your stalk is your flash-to-pass? Pulling back cycles through the modes? That's the opposite of any vehicle I've ever driven, including my Raptor. Pulling back should momentarily flash your brights, pressing forward should manually enable your high-beams unless glare-free is active, cuz your high-beams are already turned on through glare-free. Unless that's not how it works and my truck is messed up! I do agree though, if it's legitly working, then it's working. If it's not working (are you sure it's working?) then I'd restore your saved ABD (or download it from within FORScan itself) and start over again. Sometimes FORScan can create a bad checksum while computing all the values and you just have to simply do it again to get it working.

Case in point, I had a loaner F150 when my Raptor was in for service immediately after purchasing it. I used that opportunity and that truck as a test-mule to do the glare-free mod so if I screwed something up, it wasn't mine and it would just be reverted to ABD before I turned it in. It took me two tries to get it going, even though I did it exactly the same both times. My Raptor did it "correctly" the first time.

I guess I need to drive at night and make sure that I'm recalling correctly that glare-free, once activated by meeting the conditions for the mode (speed, stalk location, set to AUTO, etc) disallows manually turning on high beams.

I agree and understand that just because an option is listed in Forscan it doesn’t mean that it is available on your vehicle (many of the police related options like maximum speed come to mind). I just find it strange when options like global open/close windows or the Lincoln Experience mirror fold work on other Raptors but don’t work on my vehicle. Maybe having the 801A option package like mine has makes things different?
Your global open wasn't enabled from the factory? I really want to say I didn't have to enable that on mine, all I did was enable global close in that respect. The Lincoln Experience mirrors are something I've not done, even though I'd prefer that operation, after much reading about it there are a few things tied into the mirrors (puddle lamps for sure, and I think the spotlights) that get disabled when enabling the Lincoln Experience mirrors. I could live without those two functions, though I've just decided to leave 'em alone. I think it's buggy anyway since sometimes when I lock/unlock the truck, my mirrors won't either fold or unfold regardless.

flockofraptors

Reaction score
As to the other “strangeness”, I agree and understand that just because an option is listed in Forscan it doesn’t mean that it is available on your vehicle (many of the police related options like maximum speed come to mind). I just find it strange when options like global open/close windows or the Lincoln Experience mirror fold work on other Raptors but don’t work on my vehicle. Maybe having the 801A option package like mine has makes things different?

In stock settings, there's an option for AUTO FOLD MIRRORS which is good enough for me vs. the forscan Lincoln version, which as the other poster described does seem to disable the puddle light function

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either your thinking is backward, or your truck is.
My typing was backward. Pull flash. Push cycle. Sorry about that.
Your global open wasn't enabled from the factory?
Nope. I had tried the fob push and no luck so tried to enable both with Forscan. Might go back and just try to enable global open and see what happens.
In stock settings, there's an option for AUTO FOLD MIRRORS which is good enough for me vs. the forscan Lincoln version, which as the other poster described does seem to disable the puddle light function
I have the Auto Fold option enabled but liked the features that the Lincoln version had including (if I read it correctly) that it didn’t unfold the mirrors if you opened the passenger door. I can live with the standard fold option.