Ford Performance Tune for Gen 3s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with Gen 3 transmission tuning, unlike the Gen 2 in which a Cobb or other TCM tune was almost mandatory.
Thanks for your opinion. My tuned 19 using the Cobb sport TCM tune was much better than my 21 or 23. The best part is keeping the rpms up to 1200-1300 by being the correct gear and not lugging around like a damm Buick.

shigman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with Gen 3 transmission tuning, unlike the Gen 2 in which a Cobb or other TCM tune was almost mandatory.
Uh...you must have gotten a special truck. My 2023 is just as janky and messy as my 2020. They are identical in every single way. Id pay 500 bucks just to have a transmission as sorted as the ZF 8 speeds ive had....or really any other automatic I've ever owned.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion. My tuned 19 using the Cobb sport TCM tune was much better than my 21 or 23. The best part is keeping the rpms up to 1200-1300 by being the correct gear and not lugging around like a damm Buick.
Tow/haul mode fixes that for me. IMO, it's what normal mode would be in a world without the EPA.

shigman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tow/haul mode fixes that for me. IMO, it's what normal mode would be in a world without the EPA.
You're correct. I keep forgetting to switch to that. It does do a pretty good job and it does seem to act like a better normal mode without being full blown sport mode.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Uh...you must have gotten a special truck. My 2023 is just as janky and messy as my 2020. They are identical in every single way. Id pay 500 bucks just to have a transmission as sorted as the ZF 8 speeds ive had....or really any other automatic I've ever owned.

Not sure it makes a difference but 35 or 37 truck?

My 17 had some wonky shifts but for the most part was ok.

My 23, knock on wood, has been fine. No hard shifts or gear hunting etc. My wifes 23 expedition with the 3.73s has been great too.

Daneger

Reaction score
No. You leave it plugged into the OBD II port

So, if you unplug it does the tune go away? Seems like an easy install/uninstall option for the truck.

Don’t know why I’m asking because it doesn’t cover the 24 anyway. If it did I probably buy since it would be the only choice for 24’s.

YFZero

Reaction score
So, if you unplug it does the tune go away? Seems like an easy install/uninstall option for the truck.

Don’t know why I’m asking because it doesn’t cover the 24 anyway. If it did I probably buy since it would be the only choice for 24’s.
You don't typically have to leave tuners plugged in unless you want to use the live monitoring functionality for extra gauges. Once you flash the tune onto the vehicles ECU you can unplug the device.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and if u need to talk about the trans tune that just means the regular tune sucks.no one really talked about the cobb trans tune ,it was all about power and boost ,