Ford Performance Tune for Gen 3s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Ford ESP too. After being transfered 3 times, I reached the claims department (as if I were making a claim on the truck warranty). They said that the tune is considered "aftermarket" since it did not ship with that tune from factory. There is a statement in the warranty paperwork that says ANY aftermarket part that adds power, and causes a failure, will not be covered. So the response I received was pretty much "it might void your powertrain ESP coverage".
That second part is the main one.... "and causes a failure". So the dealership has to show it caused it. I mean, if you have a crappy dealer who is desperate for chargable hours, then you're gonna probably get pinged.

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford Performance parts do not void the new-vehicle warranty when installed by an authorized dealership.

That is all. Don't expect ESP to cover your blown turbos after you tune it, you've been warned...

gt350shelby

Reaction score
I called Ford ESP too. After being transfered 3 times, I reached the claims department (as if I were making a claim on the truck warranty). They said that the tune is considered "aftermarket" since it did not ship with that tune from factory. There is a statement in the warranty paperwork that says ANY aftermarket part that adds power, and causes a failure, will not be covered. So the response I received was pretty much "it might void your powertrain ESP coverage".
Well that sucks then . Bummer

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was going to say for my brothers former Ranger(2.3L) when he got the tune, I think he was told the powertrain would be 3-36 from truck purchase date.
Even with an extended warranty.

shigman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah its pretty clear in the documents. Any and all powertrain warranties past the 3/36 could be denied. If you blow the motor, trans, turbos, axles, diffs, driveshafts, TC, or any seals with rotating parts I wouldn't assume the dealer will handle it. If you've got an oil pan leak, bad thermostat or something...rock on! Sure you can argue that the tune didn't cause the failure, but they'll have enough ammo initially at least to deny you.

chadinokc

Reaction score
After reading all these comments, sounds to me like the best method (if anyone gets this) is to install yourself on the "down low". If you let the dealer do it, the they absolutely have this on record as being done and can weasel out IF something breaks. If you do it yourself, you could re-flash if you had an issue and cycle some starts in to hide it.

shigman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After reading all these comments, sounds to me like the best method (if anyone gets this) is to install yourself on the "down low". If you let the dealer do it, the they absolutely have this on record as being done and can weasel out IF something breaks. If you do it yourself, you could re-flash if you had an issue and cycle some starts in to hide it.
Yeah unless you trade trucks in every 3/36 or don't care about the powertrain warranty I would also do it on the down low. I also saw on a RR video that the owner of the truck once the dealer did it had to register with Ford performance. It could be just ordering the tuner kinda does this anyway, but they've for sure got ya if you install this at the dealer. Plus ..who wants to pay 250 bucks for a 10 min driveway job?

This reminds me when Toyota used to dealer install superchargers on the Tundra for 550 hp. I think the same warranty situation applied, but at least you got an extra 170 hp lol.

chadinokc

Reaction score
Yeah unless you trade trucks in every 3/36 or don't care about the powertrain warranty I would also do it on the down low. I also saw on a RR video that the owner of the truck once the dealer did it had to register with Ford performance. It could be just ordering the tuner kinda does this anyway, but they've for sure got ya if you install this at the dealer. Plus ..who wants to pay 250 bucks for a 10 min driveway job?

This reminds me when Toyota used to dealer install superchargers on the Tundra for 550 hp. I think the same warranty situation applied, but at least you got an extra 170 hp lol.
Yes, I wonder how that works. I know some aftermarket vendors will be selling this tune, but to get it done you may have to "register" with for still as it will be VIN locked they say. :33: