Extended Engine Cranking when starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hard R

Reaction score
Any update on this? Mine hasn’t done the delayed started in a few days

Update: Just did it twice this am and got video.

View attachment 444053
I'm so glad someone got this on video.

Unfortunately, my R still does this periodically even after 7k+ miles and 2 oil changes. I haven't noticed any patterns of hot/cold or fuel levels. Not frequent enough for me to bring it in but it is annoying/embarrassing when it happens.

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad someone got this on video.

Unfortunately, my R still does this periodically even after 7k+ miles and 2 oil changes. I haven't noticed any patterns of hot/cold or fuel levels. Not frequent enough for me to bring it in but it is annoying/embarrassing when it happens.
It’s definitely embarrassing. My trucks at the dealer now to try and solve this. Even with the video that I sent them, it’s not looking promising on a fix.

Hard R

Reaction score
It’s definitely embarrassing. My trucks at the dealer now to try and solve this. Even with the video that I sent them, it’s not looking promising on a fix.
Well in that case, I would allow the dealer to attempt to fix it 3x and then lemon law that R! Before you know it, you’ll be in a new 24R.

Document everything with dates and what they did to resolve the issue.

Please keep up posted.

mtnghost

Reaction score
@EricM is right, it sounds like a flood issue, best way to test is put your foot to the floor when initially starting the truck. This puts it into clear flood mode. Crank it over a bit and then release the accelerator. If it starts right up that’s the issue.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another thought, there may be a bad batch of leaky injectors in some of these new trucks. :shrug:
Possible but if the injectors are leaking I’d expect the fuel system to leak down overnight and get a delayed start each morning. Seems like people are only having this issue on a warm start after driving a bit.

mtnghost

Reaction score
Good point, then that means it’s the tune. I was merely trying to find an explanation for why only some trucks have the issue. If you take the truck to a tuner and have them reduce the fuel trims for start up this could help until the real fix comes out. I say this after following the supercharger thread and seeing how long that took to get a good tune for.

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible but if the injectors are leaking I’d expect the fuel system to leak down overnight and get a delayed start each morning. Seems like people are only having this issue on a warm start after driving a bit.
This is exactly what I thought earlier. Some the gt500 guys had the same issues and leaky injectors were the culprit.