Exhaust rattle on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting note on the date.

Mine is rattling bad when in drive, I notice it when I'm sitting at a light. Audible rattle and you can feel it distinctly through the seats/wheel. It's and enough that my wife rode in my new truck for the first time and said "wtf is that, you need to take it in". It goes away when you shift it into neutral, and changing exhaust modes doesn't change it. It doesn't do it at startup either...I assumed it was the exhaust rattle but maybe not.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Service fix has been released!!

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Rattle Noise From The Exhaust - Built On Or Before 06-Jun-2022
22-2388
19 December​

The TSB has the dealer install new exhaust tailpipe actuator valve springs on the exhaust tailpipe actuator valves.

That would mean that after June 22 trucks had the new springs, curious if anyone with a build after that has had the rattle. Wonder if ford put the new springs on the assembly line for a while tracking customer complaints as a field test of effectiveness

Interesting note on the date.

Mine is rattling bad when in drive, I notice it when I'm sitting at a light. Audible rattle and you can feel it distinctly through the seats/wheel. It's and enough that my wife rode in my new truck for the first time and said "wtf is that, you need to take it in". It goes away when you shift it into neutral, and changing exhaust modes doesn't change it. It doesn't do it at startup either...I assumed it was the exhaust rattle but maybe not.
Sounds like heat shield or a hanger vibration issue to me. Consistent theme in the exhaust rattle is the actuator behavior matters.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would mean that after June 22 trucks had the new springs, curious if anyone with a build after that has had the rattle. Wonder if ford put the new springs on the assembly line for a while tracking customer complaints as a field test of effectiveness

Sounds like heat shield or a hanger vibration issue to me. Consistent theme in the exhaust rattle is the actuator behavior matters.
Yea I just checked every hanger and heat shield I could find and didn’t notice anything loose.

That video of the exhaust rattle is defiantly worse than mine, but mine is vibrating pretty bad when at a stop so more of a frustration while driving

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

July 2022 and mine rattles like shit

lawraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They’re still having the same wastegate problems along with plenty of others. You insinuated that toyota is somehow better because of “quality”, which is a fallacy.

Headlamp flicker is a software update and the exhaust rattle is being addressed with a service fix. Neither are detrimental to the operation of the vehicle, unlike the Tundras with the bodies lifted from the chassis to install replacement turbos. Stop drinking the Kool aid and understand that all vehicles have issues. And I’d much rather have an updated muffler actuator installed than 2 turbochargers requiring body-off replacement. Or the numerous other significant quality problems the new Tundras have had.
I agree with you on that. I just want to get my exhaust fixed. Everything else is great.