Dyno tune for supercharged Raptor in Las Vegas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think anything good could be had in Baker other than **** which I guess technically counts as fuel. It is the armpit of Barstow and that is saying something.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think anything good could be had in Baker other than **** which I guess technically counts as fuel. It is the armpit of Barstow and that is saying something.
I just googled it, you're correct, not much there other than a Jerky store and some large thermometer. Dunes are close by though....

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10% Ethanol does rob power even when it's Tuned with it in the tank!!!
You need more than one and a half times the amount of Ethanol to to produce the same power as plain gasoline!!!
Plus Ethanol produces water in the tank, that's why Star Tron makes the enzyme.
The only reason 10% Ethanol is even put in gasoline is because the government listen to suggestions on how the help the farmers.
Now I'm all about helping the farmers but not by shoving in it my gas lowering my HP and mpg.
Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

I tried Costco once, and never will again!!!

You are correct that E85 requires approximately 30% more fuel than gasoline to run proper AFR's. E100 requires about 50%% more fuel. E100 has about a 27% lower calorific value than gasoline, but you're burning 50% more of it, so you have a net gain of about 25%. In a car like my Evo, going from pump gas making 460whp, and switching to E85 it makes 550whp on same timing and boost and only fueling changes.

All that means is for the 10% ethanol content, you need to increase commanded fuel about 3.5% (vs 0% ethanol fuel). Luckily, the raptor (and all fords 2011 and newer) run full time closed loop fueling, and have a target max timing that is higher than most pump gasoline can handle. so, your assumption that the truck is never tuned for 10% ethanol is incorrect on two levels. 1- The ECU can automatically adjust fueling (IIRC the trims allow +/- 25%) and is always trying to run more timing based on knock sensor feedback, and 2- because the 10% ethanol was a federal mandate, automakers tune vehicles for that fuel anyways. It does hurt MPG, but not by much. And it is offset by the lowering of emissions from the 10% ethanol.

The only concern for 10-15% ethanol is if the vehicle or fuel sits for long periods of time, or if the vehicles fuel system isn't rated for alcohol. The enzyme helps for water, but water isn't generally an issue. And pretty much any vehicle produced after the early 2000's has a fuel system that is rated for the 10-15% ethanol fuel; again because the fuel is a federal mandate.

I know you don't me or my credentials, but I've been tuning cars and making stuff go fast here in Vegas for quite some time now. I kinda know this stuff backwards, forwards, and sideways.

OP, if your truck is that sensitive to fuel, I would suggest going and seeing Carl. Or hit up JDM and make sure they the know difference between ACN 91 octane (the garbage fuel we have), and the much better 91/92/93 octane fuels the rest of the country gets.

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

OP, if your truck is that sensitive to fuel, I would suggest going and seeing Carl. Or hit up JDM and make sure they the know difference between ACN 91 octane (the garbage fuel we have), and the much better 91/92/93 octane fuels the rest of the country gets.

thank you sir! Learned something new. I had no idea we were paying the highest prices in the country for the worst fuel!

Anthony k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JDM will always adjust the Tune to your needs, putting it on a dyno isn't going to do much for drivability.
Unless the Tuner has at the shop you go to has complete real knowledge of how the Gen 1 Raptor works.

Call them!!!!!!!!

@JimIII@JDM

but a email tune will do wonders for drivability ?? WOW.

anyone who recommends a email tune over an actual dyno tune...... is a complete FOOL. Sorry man. You asked for it.
THATS INSANE. someone is getting kickbacks is the only way that makes sense in ANY WORLD

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score

anyone who recommends a email tune over an actual dyno tune...... is a complete FOOL. Sorry man. You asked for it.
THATS INSANE. someone is getting kickbacks is the only way that makes sense in ANY WORLD

Email tunes work fine. You're reviewing the same data. Flash tune, datalog, send data to tuner, tuner reviews data and send new tune. Its basically the same.

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you know anything about JDM then you’ll know that he’s not insane. JDM probably tunes more of these trucks than anyone else—if you don’t know then maybe you’re the fool. I got some really bad fuel. That’s it. No need to start flaming people when you obviously don’t have great info yourself.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I remember JDM setting you straight about your assumption about email Tunes. LOL
But you go ahead and forge forward.......

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are correct that E85 requires approximately 30% more fuel than gasoline to run proper AFR's. E100 requires about 50%% more fuel. E100 has about a 27% lower calorific value than gasoline, but you're burning 50% more of it, so you have a net gain of about 25%. In a car like my Evo, going from pump gas making 460whp, and switching to E85 it makes 550whp on same timing and boost and only fueling changes.

All that means is for the 10% ethanol content, you need to increase commanded fuel about 3.5% (vs 0% ethanol fuel). Luckily, the raptor (and all fords 2011 and newer) run full time closed loop fueling, and have a target max timing that is higher than most pump gasoline can handle. so, your assumption that the truck is never tuned for 10% ethanol is incorrect on two levels. 1- The ECU can automatically adjust fueling (IIRC the trims allow +/- 25%) and is always trying to run more timing based on knock sensor feedback, and 2- because the 10% ethanol was a federal mandate, automakers tune vehicles for that fuel anyways. It does hurt MPG, but not by much. And it is offset by the lowering of emissions from the 10% ethanol.

The only concern for 10-15% ethanol is if the vehicle or fuel sits for long periods of time, or if the vehicles fuel system isn't rated for alcohol. The enzyme helps for water, but water isn't generally an issue. And pretty much any vehicle produced after the early 2000's has a fuel system that is rated for the 10-15% ethanol fuel; again because the fuel is a federal mandate.

I know you don't me or my credentials, but I've been tuning cars and making stuff go fast here in Vegas for quite some time now. I kinda know this stuff backwards, forwards, and sideways.

I think you are not getting what I'm saying, I understand that when the fuel is lower in octane it will pull timing and adjust AFR.
I am saying that the 10% ethanol is robbing you of power because it has to pull timing and adjust AFR.
I do get what your saying in regards to the PCM will add more fuel because of the 10% Ethanol.
I did research this and found that most are saying no it will not because it will lower the overall octane in the tank.
We're on the same page here!
And I do know what E85 can do, E85 allows you to cram more fuel in the chamber thus wetting and cooling the combustion chamber.
Maybe I'm not explaining myself to you in a way you can understand what I'm saying, I don't know.

Last edited: