DIY Oil Change on Raptor R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cr23raptor1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread turned into a nightmare lol this oil change is basic skills- super easy and a good design on the raptor. Once you do it you'll laugh and say how easy it was. Oil will not shoot out and hit the tire either. Just use a big pan to watch it in, drink some coffee, grab some rags and wipe up.... change the filter, add 11.5 quarts and be done. Don't forget to clean up did I mention that?

localbrew

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious if the dealer actually drains the oil or if they use an evacuator and suck it out through the dipstick?

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I take great pride in my work and that includes oil changes. I try not to rush things so it takes me about two hours to do the oil change. I like to let the oil drain for quite some time so I do it in conjunction with cleaning the interior or some other task. It's important to prep the new oil filter by filling with oil prior to installation and inspecting and lube the gasket to insure it is properly seated. 35 oil changes on my Gen 1 and it's still going strong at 180k.

cr23raptor1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lubing the oil filter is oil change basics. The 5w-50 is thin and drains out fast. Of course take your time but this process is nothing to be discussed especially if you are a motor head. Heck I change oil in my cars(except my mclaren that is a little bit of a process) spur of the moment or when I think about it, it's next to washing a vehicle.

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't live in fear that way. I have to change the oil on my ZL1 1LE after every 4 hours of track time. I leave the transmisson fluid to the dealer because the 10 speed on my camaro and raptor needs equipment I don't have. A dealership assigns engine oil changes to their least skilled and lowest paid employees generally. And I find when it comes to these rare vehicles, since they never see them at their service shops, they choke on even basic requests.
Couldn’t agree more with this. Keep good records and Ford will be just fine with it.