GEN 2 Disconnecting my battery is the best thing I’ve done to this truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CigarPundit

I like wood
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there has been lots of discussion about resetting the KAM learning to improve tranny behavior, idling performance, etc., but I think it is worth mentioning again. I’ve had my 2019 for a couple of months, and I recently encountered a number of issues that will be the subject of another thread once I know how it all will come out. As a result of these issues, I decided to disconnect my battery to make 100% sure that my KAM was reset.

This is a stupidly easy and quick procedure that anyone can do, and I would encourage basically everyone to do it from time to time. In fact, my advice would be that it is the very first thing you should do when you get your brand new (or used, for that matter) truck home.

The truck has never run this well. The tranny is like butter—far better than the day I drove it off the lot brand spanking new. Idling is better, throttle response is better. It’s just fantastic.

Just my PSA for the day. Of course, YMMV. But I’m putting this into my regular maintenance routine.

Remember: Negative off first and on last. Remove wires from both terminals. Turn on the lights and open the doors or touch the positive and negative wires together to drain every last angry pixie from the system. Then reconnect and (optional) do an idle relearn: https://www.morepowertuning.com/how-to-idle-relearn

Last edited:

bunkisland

Reaction score
I know there has been lots of discussion about resetting the KAM learning to improve tranny behavior, idling performance, etc., but I think it is worth mentioning again. I’ve had my 2019 for a couple of months, and I recently encountered a number of issues that will be the subject of another thread once I know how it all will come out. As a result of these issues, I decided to disconnect my battery to make 100% sure that my KAM was reset.

This is a stupidly easy and quick procedure that anyone can do, and I would encourage basically everyone to do it from time to time. In fact, my advice would be that it is the very first thing you should do when you get your brand new (or used, for that matter) truck home.

The truck has never run this well. The tranny is like butter—far better than the day I drove it off the lot brand spanking new. Idling is better, throttle response is better. It’s just fantastic.

Just my PSA for the day. Of course, YMMV. But I’m putting this into my regular maintenance routine.

Remember: Negative off first and on last. Remove wires from both terminals. Turn on the lights and open the doors or touch the positive and negative wires together to drain every last angry pixie from the system. Then reconnect and (optional) do an idle relearn: https://www.morepowertuning.com/how-to-idle-relearn
Good idea. I’ll check it out.

bunkisland

Reaction score

How many miles did you have on it before you did the “reset”?

P4mnceBlue82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to install my stage 2 kit monday on my 2019. Would this be worth doing to help the tranny relearn shifting with the added power?

OP
OP
CigarPundit

CigarPundit

I like wood
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% It's actually pretty important to make sure your KAM is reset before loading a tune, and this is the only sure fire method I know of to do it. Clear commands from the tuner don't always work, apparently.

I will never load a tune again before first doing this. I would load the tune immediately after doing the reset, then do an idle relearn, and a test drive.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck hasn't needed a KAM reset. My shifting, idling etc. has been great from day one. Currently @ 40.000 miles.

OP
OP
CigarPundit

CigarPundit

I like wood
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck hasn't needed a KAM reset. My shifting, idling etc. has been great from day one. Currently @ 40.000 miles.

Are you tuned? In any event, like I said, YMMV, but it certainly won't do any harm and it did wonders for mine. Definitely better than it was when I picked it up from the dealer. But essential, I think if you are tuned. Probably most of the time the KAM reset command from the tuner works. But sometimes it doesn't.