Decision to Make Gen 2 or Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Easyrider470

Reaction score
Here is another question. Its sounds like you're in the "modding mood"...possibly. Gen2s have a LOT more options for modification. You may go out and spend 10-13K modding a gen 2 you'll get more satisfaction out of it even if its maybe still not as good as a gen 3...overall. Car people do this all the time, and there is nothing wrong with it. Just depends on if you'll be as happy with a mostly stock truck even if it does everything you need to do and then some...vs something you worked on and got satisfaction from the incremental enhancement modification process (its also nice having a vehicle that stands out vs looking like every other Raptor you see everyday). Im just personally getting tired of modding cars because of the wash you take on all of it when its time to sell.
100% agree with this. I want to modd the truck. I don't really like stock. BUT, i think i could be happy with a Gen 3 in stock for if I bought the right truck. Trouble is, that "RIGHT" truck is 20K more than a Gen 2 that is the "RIGHT" truck to baseline for modds and drive every day.
Just didn't want to end up with something that wasn't ever going to be what I want. The GEN 2 can be everything I want it to be, and the Mods i will do to make it that are easily researched, selected and performed in my garage. I'm going to go with the Gen 2

BigBlue20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen 3 looks better than the Gen 2 in my opinion.
This is strictly a personal choice. I’m exactly the opposite, and there are quite a few features deleted or not available on gen 3 that were on the gen 2. Very much a choice up to each individual.

BigBlue20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bingo! I LOVE the looks of the Gen2. To me it flows much better with the headlights and Gen2 grille. To me Gen3 is too angular, and don’t get me going on the much larger amber marker lights. But like I said, it’s personal preference. My late ‘20 Gen2 will never be sold and will stay with my son when I depart this world. Just buy what makes YOU happy rather than what makes the consensus happy. They’re not chipping in to help you pay for their choice.

mchurch0211

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Avoid '21 Gen 3s UNLESS you find one under warranty (last of those expiring in December). '22 seems to have addressed all the first run defects. I've owned my 21 since July and it's currently in the shop for the 6th time under warranty work. All 4 shocks were shot, needed new muffler and exhaust valve, seat motor needed replaced, few software gremlins, and a still mysterious metal on metal sound coming from the RF brake caliper area (yet to be diagnosed by Ford) to name some of the issues...otherwise, love the truck if they can get it right BUT my confidence is fading. YMMV.
sounds like you must have bought a lemon. I have owned 3 gen 3’s 2 21 37 pkgs and one 24 R. the 21’s had 0 issues and had a better build quality and all the good features that have now been deleted (TORSEN DIFF, cup holder ambient lighting, digital air control gages, nice rear consol cup holders)…

rockyfs

Reaction score
I just traded my 2018 Gen 2 with 18K miles on it. It was black. I have a Gen 3 Avalanche Gray model now and love it. It is tight with steering overall maneuverability. I thought it was that way because it was new but no, the suspension was that much better. The technology is much better. The Gen 2 didn't have front sensors, but the Gen 3 does, which makes it much easier to park and get around vehicles. The self-driving feature is really good, especially on the interstate. I know that you want to do some mods. I guess that you would have to see if there is a used Raptor 37 model that you can get a deal on with some mileage on it. Worth looking into.