Decision to Make Gen 2 or Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Easyrider470

Reaction score
If it were me (im a gen 2 owner) I’d say early gen 3. You relinquish all the phaser drama, i believe the sunroof is better , Coil sprung rear is the biggest reason tho. Thats a completely different ballgame/ advantage in my book. And if you want 37” tires thats the move 100%. Modding rigs is great but you really have to do your research and tweak to get the setup right. But when you starting off the factory with a tire that size you know everything is engineered around it already. All the calculations are done. So its a great starting point.
Thanks. I have driven a Gen 2 and owned Gen 3...it's a real toss up. I am not shooting for 37's on the Gen 2 i am just planning to drive this thing and do mods to enjoy it. if the leaf spring is the game changer then I cannot argue with that logic as all

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. I have driven a Gen 2 and owned Gen 3...it's a real toss up. I am not shooting for 37's on the Gen 2 i am just planning to drive this thing and do mods to enjoy it. if the leaf spring is the game changer then I cannot argue with that logic as all
If you’re doing normal stuff leafs are fine (ive never been a fan of leafs ). Travel kind of sucks and its a old design. But they are less complex and work for the stock stroke length pretty well. Coils on the other hand you can design all kinds of characteristics into.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some one said the engines are the same. They maybe the same on paper but power delivery is way different.

I went from a Gen 2 with FRS and Deavers to a Gen 3. The suspension comparison isn’t even close. Gen 3 is so much better.