Cut wires. What to do...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blusatriani

Reaction score
What do you guys think?
I bought a 19,000 mile salvaged 2019 Raptor with all the options. Virtually everything on the truck has been fixed except the electrical problem. The wiring harness inside the cab behind the rear seat had been cut when original owner "removed" the rear amplifier and now the instrument cluster and navigation doesn't work. Truck drives great but no instrument cluster.
After I got the engine codes and looking online I decided to take it to a Ford dealer instead of independent shop.
After several hours of diagnosis they said that the wiring loom inside the cab must be completely replaced because of a specific thick wire was cut with blue sheath and white tape around it in the top of the picture. They said that this specific one you can't pigtail into it. $6300 for the amp, wiring harness, and labor (mostly labor because this harness goes everywhere in the cab). He said after it's replaced it's not a guaranteed fix because other things may have gone wrong when it was cut.

I have the money but of course don't want to go down a rabbit hole of spending money.

What would you guys do? Any other options??

Attachments

• image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
B

blusatriani

Reaction score
It's seriously hard to believe. Maybe it's susceptible to RF interference or something but I would temp wire it myself to see if it even lit up.
I was thinking about buying a used wiring harness and cutting off the connectors and just wiring them together. Is this what you mean?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
here's pic of the B&O amp that it plugs into.
I believe it is the wiring going to the blue connector. The wire isn't a true coax cable. Which just has one center conductor. This is a shield wire with I believe 5 conductors. Extremely small. I would say near impossible to repair.

If you purchased correctly (at less than 1/2 book value) then it should have been budgeted for things like this.

I see people all the time buy used vehicles and then have 0.00 budget for repairs. Mind boggling to me. I bought my 2020 Raptor 2 years ago this month with 17k on the odometer and within the first week I spent $1000.00 on maintenance to bring the vehicle to a known level. Meaning I had 0 idea what the previous owner did with it, so I brought it to a level that was known to me and being my "0" starting point from that point.