Cross Country: TX -> NJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd just drive it.

What he said. Put your luggage n, hit a gas station....check the oil and drive the thing. I have done a couple 1,000 mile road trips. this thing rides like a dream @ 85mph and 18mpg.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may want to do some type of undercoating to have the truck live in a NJ environment where salt is used on the roads. I sprayed Amsoil HDMP on my underside when I got it. There are other choices as well. You could do that in TX where it’s warm before your trip. You might also want to consider installing mudflaps given periodic slop on the roads.

Mind if I ask why? Other than prevent surface rust, what good does an undercarriage coating do?

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s for rust protection, like any undercoat. There are areas that are not painted or not well painted that will rust. There are plenty of threads of folks complaining about underbody rust including on unpainted components as well as areas like the frame. The way they salt roads up here it helps to have an additional layer of protection. I did it the first weekend I got the truck.