Critters Eating Wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackmedz

Reaction score
I'm a new Raptor owner for about 2 months now (2024 Carbonized Gray, 801a) named Gunner. My buddy has a 2023 where he found chipmunks in the engine block while it was parked. They were eating the wires & the repair has been ongoing for 4 weeks now. The harness bracket is on backorder with a possible ship date of 8/4 ... maybe. The dealer said it is because Ford has been using a peanut base coating on their wires & it's attracting animals who then chew on the wires.

Has anyone else ever heard of this happening?? He called me to warn me, but if it's true, what can we do??

Thanks & I enjoy reading all of the threads on this forum!!

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People keep reiterating that ridiculous conspiracy theory about the wire sheathing, it’s simply ridiculous. Animals will chew wires regardless of what they are made of, it’s just what they do. The best prevention is rodent repellents and traps.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah.. as much as I want to say this is a new issue, I had a mole chew through my Christmas light wires. I’m pretty sure they weren’t very appetizing.
Rodent’s aren’t the smartest animals.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently had to take my C8 into the dealer with what I thought was a lot of electrical gremlins (front camera cutting out, front latch, instrument cluster issues). Ended up being a mouse nest in there and they had done some work. This happened under the previous owner, which is why Ill probably never buy another used car. They had to take the whole front end off the C8 to clear all of it out and replace harnesses. Fortunately they only charged me 900 bucks.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Little monsters ate through the insulation of some 50 year old Romex inside a wall of one of my houses.

Keep your truck in a garage that is sealed up really well and has mouse traps set.

I'm about to spend 10K on a new garage floor to fix settlement issues and take care of where they were getting into both the garage and the house.

OP
OP
Jackmedz

Jackmedz

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses!! Got a good laugh out of them. Dealer is in fact blowing smoke, but wanted to verify it for my friend. Thanks again!!