Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an update. So I went to the dealership to get my truck. They had the truck inside and had done the chassis ear test on each shock. They found that the rear shocks are defective so they contacted Ford to see what they wanted to do. Ford told the dealership to replace the solenoids on the rear shocks and retest with the chassis ears. Solenoids are on order and should be in tomorrow. Once that is completed, if the rear shocks still clunk and rattle, they were told to replace the rear shocks. Ford also advised them that those shocks are on back-order and that they may not be able to get them. The Tech then said that he thinks that they may have stopped making them and if that is the case, they would have to convert my truck to accept the new dual valve version that is on the 24s. I'm thinking, "Yes!! Free upgrade!" I don't know how this is going to turn out. At least I got them to use the chassis ears and we are making some progress. I'll keep you all posted.
I highly doubt they would have a conversion option to get us 2024 shocks but I guess maybe there’s a chance?

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it also. Tech's words, not mine. Just a little hope for us.
I just don’t understand how some are getting this replaced in one visit but others have to go through all these steps like you and I. I know with my previous 35 gen 3 it was in out and ordered same day. Need to just go to that dealer I guess.

LayinWatts69

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spent way too much time reading all 100+ pages of this thread. My trucks' clunk just got much worse after a couple days off-road, going to be taking it to the dealer for a closer look soon. 21,000 miles. FML.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got an update. So I went to the dealership to get my truck. They had the truck inside and had done the chassis ear test on each shock. They found that the rear shocks are defective so they contacted Ford to see what they wanted to do. Ford told the dealership to replace the solenoids on the rear shocks and retest with the chassis ears. Solenoids are on order and should be in tomorrow. Once that is completed, if the rear shocks still clunk and rattle, they were told to replace the rear shocks. Ford also advised them that those shocks are on back-order and that they may not be able to get them. The Tech then said that he thinks that they may have stopped making them and if that is the case, they would have to convert my truck to accept the new dual valve version that is on the 24s. I'm thinking, "Yes!! Free upgrade!" I don't know how this is going to turn out. At least I got them to use the chassis ears and we are making some progress. I'll keep you all posted.
They still make the rears and I call BS on contacting Ford. If I were you I would tell them to stop wasting time and replace the shocks as per the SSM. Ford's language in that document says to replace the affected shock absorbers and not the solenoids. Call them today and tell them to order the shocks. It took almost 2 months for mine to come in. Solenoids will do nothing but hang your truck up for another few weeks.

SSM 509722021-2022 F-150 Raptor - Clunk/Thump/Rattle Noise From The Front And/OrRear When Going Over Bumps - Built On Or Before 16-Jun-2022. Some 2021-2022 F-150 Raptor vehicles built on or before 16-Jun-2022 may experience a clunk, thump,and/or rattle noise from the front and /or rear when going over bumps. This may be due to a concern with the shock absorbers. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Sections 100-04 and 204-00 to perform the appropriate noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) diagnosis and inspections. If diagnosis leads to a shock absorber, replace only the affected shock absorber(s). Refer to WSM, Sections 204-01B (front)and/or 204-02 (rear). For claiming, use causal part 18124 (front) or 18125 (rear) and applicable labor operations in Section 03 (front) and/or Section 05 (rear) of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS)Manual.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They still make the rears and I call BS on contacting Ford. If I were you I would tell them to stop wasting time and replace the shocks as per the SSM. Ford's language in that document says to replace the affected shock absorbers and not the solenoids. Call them today and tell them to order the shocks. It took almost 2 months for mine to come in. Solenoids will do nothing but hang your truck up for another few weeks.

SSM 509722021-2022 F-150 Raptor - Clunk/Thump/Rattle Noise From The Front And/OrRear When Going Over Bumps - Built On Or Before 16-Jun-2022. Some 2021-2022 F-150 Raptor vehicles built on or before 16-Jun-2022 may experience a clunk, thump,and/or rattle noise from the front and /or rear when going over bumps. This may be due to a concern with the shock absorbers. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Sections 100-04 and 204-00 to perform the appropriate noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) diagnosis and inspections. If diagnosis leads to a shock absorber, replace only the affected shock absorber(s). Refer to WSM, Sections 204-01B (front)and/or 204-02 (rear). For claiming, use causal part 18124 (front) or 18125 (rear) and applicable labor operations in Section 03 (front) and/or Section 05 (rear) of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS)Manual.
With a dealer like mine, it will only make them less receptive to helping. I really didn’t want to have to start all over at another dealership but I think I’m going to have to

Raptured22

Reaction score

I'm going down there this afternoon. I'm with you, the soleniods are most likely a waste of time. Hell, it's taken me 5 weeks to get this far with them. I finally got them to do the proper testing and confirm that the rears are bad. Now they can't deny a warranty claim. They have to fix it one way or another. I did tell them if there is a delay on the shocks that I would take the truck and bring it back when the shocks arrive. Them keeping the Truck while the shocks are on order is a big "Hell No".