Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptured22

Reaction score
I've already had a Ford Tech ride with me and he did hear the clunky rattle over small washboard bumps, so they don't think I'm crazy now. Anyway, I have an appointment on the 8th for them to place the chassis ears on and test each shock. They said they heard the rattle and that they would take care of it. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well,

My last service visit where I showed them my GoPro videos of literally each shock clunking went no where. They took the videos and then said they'll need to give me a loaner car to "diagnose it further" because "they cant order parts without actually having the vehicle in the service department." Said they would call me Monday, nope. Tuesday, nope. I called them today and flat out said I feel like this is going now where and I even went out of my way to buy a damn GoPro go prove they all clunk (after 4 visits prior of them not hearing). He refused to say that he would order the shocks, only that he will "submit it to ford" to see "if maybe it's a bracket or a bushing and not the shock." I even mentioned the SSM that I GAVE HIM saying it's the shock... nope. "I wanna make sure this is entirely warranty for you." So I have that visit now scheduled today, in addition to fixing my TCU thats needed to be reset 4x, my BCM DTC that won't go away and now a battery issue that came back after 1 month of being fixed.

Needless to say, im already getting trade in feelers and looking at other (non ford) vehicles. god this sucks.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do get stuck with the bill if they replace them for you and then Ford denies it. Seems like the service from Ford dealerships is generally crap right now though. Of the six near me, only one is actually helpful. Three are absolutely useless, two just want to do oil changes, and then there’s the good one. Not sure what could possibly take them so long to diagnose. When I had my shocks done they traced the noise to the shocks within like five or ten minutes while I bounced the bed up and down.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They do get stuck with the bill if they replace them for you and then Ford denies it.
Even though this was discussed multiple times in this thread, I personally disagree that this is happening. Ford is going off the build date and if it falls under the SSM dates listed. There is no way they are taking the man power to test each shock as it comes back to HQ for a slight rattle that happens intermittently and then back charging the dealerships.

Mine goes back in next week for the fronts to be tested again. I am hoping it goes somewhere this time.

JDMCTR00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I post a new thread, Are you guys FEELING any kind of a "thumping" in the steering wheel? or is this all noise/sound related?

mzuern

Reaction score
I don't feel it in the steering wheel. Just a vibration rattle feeling in the gas peddle and the clunking, rattle sound in the shocks
I just got a new to me 22 37 package and I have the exact same thing as you are feeling. I'm interested to see what you find out.

Raptured22

Reaction score
I just got a new to me 22 37 package and I have the exact same thing as you are feeling. I'm interested to see what you find out.
I don't think I will get this resolved through Ford. I waited 3 weeks, which was last Thursday, for my 2nd appointment, to have a Ford Tech place chassis ears on each shock and test, as the Ford bulletin states. It's Monday and they haven't touched it yet. To busy, short staffed, BS. Anyway, I'm going to pick my truck up this afternoon. I'll just wait for Fox to release a Gen 3 specific FRS set of shocks and coil-overs.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I will get this resolved through Ford. I waited 3 weeks, which was last Thursday, for my 2nd appointment, to have a Ford Tech place chassis ears on each shock and test, as the Ford bulletin states. It's Monday and they haven't touched it yet. To busy, short staffed, BS. Anyway, I'm going to pick my truck up this afternoon. I'll just wait for Fox to release a Gen 3 specific FRS set of shocks and coil-overs.
We’re in the same sheitty situation

Raptured22

Reaction score
We’re in the same sheitty situation
Got an update. So I went to the dealership to get my truck. They had the truck inside and had done the chassis ear test on each shock. They found that the rear shocks are defective so they contacted Ford to see what they wanted to do. Ford told the dealership to replace the solenoids on the rear shocks and retest with the chassis ears. Solenoids are on order and should be in tomorrow. Once that is completed, if the rear shocks still clunk and rattle, they were told to replace the rear shocks. Ford also advised them that those shocks are on back-order and that they may not be able to get them. The Tech then said that he thinks that they may have stopped making them and if that is the case, they would have to convert my truck to accept the new dual valve version that is on the 24s. I'm thinking, "Yes!! Free upgrade!" I don't know how this is going to turn out. At least I got them to use the chassis ears and we are making some progress. I'll keep you all posted.