Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kinda hard to see but that’s the passenger side CV, not the drive shaft/pinion, right?
That’s what I need help with on the terminology. New to the split front end. I’ll grab a better picture of it tomorrow when I do my tire rotation.

I think if you get underneath you can figure out what I’m pushing on.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s what I need help with on the terminology. New to the split front end. I’ll grab a better picture of it tomorrow when I do my tire rotation.

I think if you get underneath you can figure out what I’m pushing on.
It’s the passenger side CV, mine has the exact same amount of play and I do not have any clunk issues. Mine also has play in the front driveshaft at both ends, which the dealer just looked at and said is normal.

I have a vibration issue that starts at 50mph that they couldn’t figure out. I’m convinced it’s the front diff/pinion bearing but the dealers shop foreman is assuring me nothing up front is spinning in 2h. I’m about to mount a GoPro under there because I do not believe him.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the passenger side CV, mine has the exact same amount of play and I do not have any clunk issues. Mine also has play in the front driveshaft at both ends, which the dealer just looked at and said is normal.

I have a vibration issue that starts at 50mph that they couldn’t figure out. I’m convinced it’s the front diff/pinion bearing but the dealers shop foreman is assuring me nothing up front is spinning in 2h. I’m about to mount a GoPro under there because I do not believe him.
If it’s speed dependent I’d look at wheels and tires first. Iirc the front driveshaft is spinning in 2H it’s just disconnected at the hubs. I’m a previous Jeep guy too though so I’d confirm that.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score

Tie a piece of kite string around something on the shaft and tie the other end to the frame, go for a drive.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Damn I was hoping I was onto something there. I don’t have any play in my driveshaft and there shouldn’t be any.

Well it goes into the dealer again. I’ll just demand the shocks get done at this point. We will see how that goes.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got my GoPro video, it shows the front driveshaft spinning at all speeds in both 2H and 4A, and also shows a vibration at the diff pinion. I’m hoping this will be enough evidence to get the dealer to do something.

I’m still not sure if my iwe’s are functioning correctly though, I need to test more. In 2H I’m not sure if the front driveshaft should be spinning or not, but mine definitely is.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my GoPro video, it shows the front driveshaft spinning at all speeds in both 2H and 4A, and also shows a vibration at the diff pinion. I’m hoping this will be enough evidence to get the dealer to do something.

I’m still not sure if my iwe’s are functioning correctly though, I need to test more. In 2H I’m not sure if the front driveshaft should be spinning or not, but mine definitely is.
It’s normal for the front driveshaft to turn in 2H due to the drag from the transfer case clutch. It spins at a lower speed than when in 4WD.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s normal for the front driveshaft to turn in 2H due to the drag from the transfer case clutch. It spins at a lower speed than when in 4WD.
That’s what I figured. My iwe’s are functioning normally, so I’m pretty sure my issue is likely a front pinion bearing.