Chris Ross Build Underway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just got some time to read this build... You are not at all concerned with the safety of a bolt in roll cage? I have never heard of anyone promoting the safety of a bolt in roll cage. Is there a race sanction body that will approve this? Or are you just saying this is for the regular driver that is not going to run their Raptor hard off road... I am in no way calling you out on this since I have been out of the system for a while... Just wondering if the rules have changed...

Hock,

Chris already answered why he wanted this type of cage at this time. But to answer your question, bolt in roll cages (when done correctly) are allowed in FIA and a host of other sanctioning bodies. Corey has the rule books at the shop and reads them like they are a Tom Clancy book. With that said, the point of this cage is to save Chris's bacon in case stuff goes wrong. It won't save the truck, but as Chris said to me a long time ago, who cares as long as he is ok. The cage is attached to the truck with the best hardware (cant remember the name of them right now) and is mounted in a very unique way on the underside to ensure it aint going anywhere. When the build is done, we will release a full detailed pic and write up about why, and how everything was done.

A good example of a bolt in roll cage is found in one of the best cars on the planet, a Porsche GT3RS Clubsport package. It's full bolt in and is available to accept bolt on front A-pillar section for FIA legality directly from Porsche.
Porsche Technology Glossary

Thanks

Represent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry but thats a horrible comparison, when a GT3RS roll's it's only 3000 lbs on a flat surface. A Raptor is 6000 rolling on uneven surfaces with sharp edges!

Truck looks like its coming out really good, I know it won't be done but any chance the truck & RPG will be at the Expo in a few weeks?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2011-2012 F150 roof strength tested by IIHS

5,342 lb curb weight
25,234 lb peek crush force
4.72 strength to weight ratio

Granted this is a static crushing force on one point. Still the roof is able to withstand 4.72 times the vehicle weight without a rollcage! Adding a rollcage only enhances the already strong roof!

In comparison:

2009-2012 Dodge ram 1500
5,186 lb curb weight
15,412 lb peek crush force
2.97 strength to weight ratio

From IIHS website:
" In the Institute's roof strength test, a metal plate is pushed against 1 side of a roof at a constant speed. To earn a good rating, the roof must withstand a force of 4 times the vehicle's weight before reaching 5 inches of crush. This is called a strength-to-weight ratio. For an acceptable rating, the minimum required strength-to-weight ratio is 3.25. A marginal rating value is 2.5. Anything lower than that is poor.

The Institute's test method is the same one that had been used for testing under the original federal roof strength regulation since 1973, but with much higher requirements. Vehicles only needed a strength-to-weight ratio of 1.5 to meet the federal regulation, which just recently has been strengthened, phasing in with 2013 models."

-Greg

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry but thats a horrible comparison, when a GT3RS roll's it's only 3000 lbs on a flat surface. A Raptor is 6000 rolling on uneven surfaces with sharp edges!

Truck looks like its coming out really good, I know it won't be done but any chance the truck & RPG will be at the Expo in a few weeks?

I wish. So much more stuff has been added that are target date of having it done for the expo has gone out the window.

Also, the reason I made the comparison was because Hoc asked about a respectable company doing a roll cage via bolt in. I understand the vehicles are totally different, but's its also important to remember the rate of speed the porsche is able to go vs. the Raptor, plus not all road course race tracks are nice and flat. I saw a guys roll 5 times at turn 8 at Willow Springs Raceway at 145mph and managed to live. Yes our environent is different than a road course, but in many ways off road roll overs are at much slower speeds, sometimes on softer sand and dirt and ultimatly in the big man above's hands.

But back on topic, Chris truck looks great and will be done in about 5 weeks.

Thanks

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Saw this on facebook...HAWT!

255434_365342923545505_1543228941_n.jpg