California Legal mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I read a while back that California had laws against modding your vehicles including simple stuff like filters and plug wires. If this is true, what can our California members legally do to their Raptors?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If its CARB certified, then its legal. If not, not.

CARB = California Air Resource Board (http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm) = one of the most asinine institutions conceived by man to date

If you mod anything having to do with your engine/intake that gets visually inspected during a smog, make sure your mod comes with a CARB sticker indicating its been certified (it will have a certificate number on it, that your inspector can use to verify the sticker matches the mod). You'll need to affix that sticker to the vehicle so it can be read during inspection. Very few engine/intakes are CARB legal; its a very expensive certificate to buy (notice I didn't say "earn"... but I digress)

As for exhaust, you're allowed to modify your exhaust, but only from the cat back. You are also allowed to use shorty headers if they're CARB certified. Long tubes cannot be certified (due to their design), and your stock cats cannot be modified in any way (gutted, replaced with hi flow and/or non OEM spec, or deleted).

Aint California grand? :blam:

OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If its CARB certified, then its legal. If not, not.

CARB = California Air Resource Board (http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm) = one of the most asinine institutions conceived by man to date

If you mod anything having to do with your engine/intake that gets visually inspected during a smog, make sure your mod comes with a CARB sticker indicating its been certified (it will have a certificate number on it, that your inspector can use to verify the sticker matches the mod). You'll need to affix that sticker to the vehicle so it can be read during inspection. Very few engine/intakes are CARB legal; its a very expensive certificate to buy (notice I didn't say "earn"... but I digress)

As for exhaust, you're allowed to modify your exhaust, but only from the cat back. You are also allowed to use shorty headers if they're CARB certified. Long tubes cannot be certified (due to their design), and your stock cats cannot be modified in any way (gutted, replaced with hi flow and/or non OEM spec, or deleted).

Aint California grand? :blam:

California is a great state but it's over run by....well, you know.

Anyhow, I guess this means supercharging a California Raptor is out of the question.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
California is a great state but...

Be careful! Don't make fun of California. You and everyone else across the country will soon be bailing the Golden State out of bankruptcy. We'll all probably see the Value Added Tax (VAT) before then - it will be coming to the entire country as part of all of our politicians' unwillingness to cut their spending.

This is not political. It's a report.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not necessarily. It depends on how much effort the SC supplier/maker goes thru. For example, I'm fairly certain Edelbrock has all their SC's certified. Rouch has had several, I believe.

Its just something we need to ask, and make damn sure of, before buying something like a SC. There was a day when CARB wasn't really something that inspectors worried about; if it passed the sniffer, it almost always would "pass" the visual, if you follow me. But those days are gone. California has shut several smog shops down over the past year, even throwing some operators in jail. Everyone I've talked to (many many folks) won't risk NOT doing it by the book any more... for anybody.

But then, of course if you didn't want to worry about it, if you kept all your stock parts come smog time you could just...

OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Be careful! Don't make fun of California.

I'm not sure how my post was viewed has making fun of California but I assure you that was not my intention. I've personally driven from one end of your state to the other and find it to be a truly wonderful state....out side of political ideologies anyhow.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
California...the land of fruits and nuts.:biggrin:

I was actually born in Fullerton.