beware mac haik

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Boss, couldn't the dealer later claim that you never gave them the notice? It seems like you would either have to send it certified mail-return receipt or have them to sign an acknowledgment on the spot that they received it. Otherwise, you would be at the mercy of their honesty if a dispute were to arise and you had to document your actions to satisfy lemon law requirements.

The requirement is to provide written notice at the time of repair. Every time I have done this (letter with vehicle) it has drawn attention. If the Service Director along with the rest of the staff want to possibly commit perjury then that is up to them. Have never had an issue so far. When it is not fixed the first time I have sent letters via email with the attached letter to the Dealer to let them know we are on the 2nd attempt in the process. I have always gotten an acknowledgement for the maker.

I know most will not go to this level but I am not most people. If you do your due diligence it will pay off in the end.

GoMuscles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The requirement is to provide written notice at the time of repair. Every time I have done this (letter with vehicle) it has drawn attention. If the Service Director along with the rest of the staff want to possibly commit perjury then that is up to them. Have never had an issue so far. When it is not fixed the first time I have sent letters via email with the attached letter to the Dealer to let them know we are on the 2nd attempt in the process. I have always gotten an acknowledgement for the maker.

I know most will not go to this level but I am not most people. If you do your due diligence it will pay off in the end.

It's really not a bad idea at all. Educated customers get treated the best

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Boss, couldn't the dealer later claim that you never gave them the notice? It seems like you would either have to send it certified mail-return receipt or have them to sign an acknowledgment on the spot that they received it. Otherwise, you would be at the mercy of their honesty if a dispute were to arise and you had to document your actions to satisfy lemon law requirements.

I won't speak for my buddy Boss Hoss but I am sure he was wise enough to send it certified or registered. Every state has different laws regarding "disclosure". This not only falls upon dealers but anyone selling a vehicle. MY only suggestion on sending letters like this is supplying a dead line for response.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I agree. I had Park Place Mercedes buy back my wife's 2011 E550 because of transmission problems. The only thing I would add here is to start an email thread with the Service Manager and GM of the dealership if you thing something is going to be a problem so you have email threads to fall back on as well. The GM at Park Place responded to my email and that ended up saving me 70+k in the end.

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree. I had Park Place Mercedes buy back my wife's 2011 E550 because of transmission problems. The only thing I would add here is to start an email thread with the Service Manager and GM of the dealership if you thing something is going to be a problem so you have email threads to fall back on as well. The GM at Park Place responded to my email and that ended up saving me 70+k in the end.

It is always wise to try to handle situations like this in a amicable manner. E-mails are fine and are discoverable. However; once you feel no action is taking place or your are being ignored start communicating with certified or resgistered mail. Courts still view this as the "best" communication from a "proof" standpoint. Most businesses are honest but some folks expect a new car for simply scratches etc. This is totally unreasonable and simply cloggs up the whole process. Most states, if not all now have what they call "lemon or buyers remorse" protection laws. There are specific guidelines you must follow to protect yourself in those unfortunate situations. Working with the dealer or seller is the key to quickly solving issues.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In Texas the written notice must be provided at the time the vehicle is delivered to be repaired.... Your point is valid in general communications but the requirements for this are specific pursuant to the statute.

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In Texas the written notice must be provided at the time the vehicle is delivered to be repaired.... Your point is valid in general communications but the requirements for this are specific pursuant to the statute.

Thanks for the complement ole buddy!:flowers2: The laws regarding this will vary from state to state. It is wise to do a little homework before you start a claim. Most of these kind of cases do not usually go through a "court" unless there is a direct civil claim. These are judged through arbitration with an ALJ.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can tell you all from first hand experience that shit happens... I watched a prep mechanic doing a prep on a F150 and opened the drivers door on to the lift next to his service area. Now the small ding will require it to be sent out to get repaired. It will cost about 200 to 500 to repair the boo boo. It happens and the dealer will fix it and most likely say nothing since it is under the required amount of damage to be disclosed. Sometimes shit happens, these are not one off hand built custom cars never to see the light of day. Do I think the dealer would be better served to disclose, yes. In this case of the this thread, take it to a good body shop you trust have it estimated for a proper fix and ask the dealer to cut you a check for it. If you can live with it then pocket the money and move on.. All too often I see people asking for unrealistic amounts for simple things. A minor fender bender resulting in no airbags being deployed and one of the occupants wants 10 million dollars for being put through this trying event.. Life is short and its hard.. No point in making it harder than it needs to be..

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Again correct but always remember that in the communication with the manufacturer to include the copy of the letter and documentation of the vehicle being repaired or the attempted repair. To send this via certified mail is a good idea however in my 3 vehicles there was no disputing by Ford or MB. I had acknowledgements that they understood and acknowledged attached letter.

In Texas it is a big issue to have a vehicle officially labeled IAW with the law “Lemon” because if it goes through the process with the State and you are successful in your Hearing the vehicle will always have denoted on the title it is a “Lemon”.. Most of the time if you do what I do the manufacturer will realize that it is not worth (tougher to do now) going through the process. ALSO---UNDERSTAND you do not get all of your money back. Most people do not understand this but there is a formula used to deduct the mileage you have on the vehicle. Have done this on two of the vehicles that were bought back (Ford - MB just gave me money and my trade back) so if you have 29k on the vehicle don’t think you are going to get all of your money back—there is no free lunch..

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
there is no free lunch.........

Oh...........now I wouldn't say that!:anitoof:

Attachments

• lets-do-lunch.jpg
    lets-do-lunch.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 31