Best in the Desert 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor Race Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
It's got Fox aftermarket 3.0s. I'm guessing it's got Deavers, or something spec'd from Atlas.

How can that compete in a "stock" shock class? Is it due to them still being 3.0's?

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
How can that compete in a "stock" shock class? Is it due to them still being 3.0's?

Class rules were written specifically for this truck. I haven't read through them but I'd assume it says something about using stock mounting points which is why it's probably ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wouldn't using aftermarket 3.0s and rear leafs still start the whole "it's not stock enough debate"? I'd really like to see the factory 2017 Raptor on the track plus the roll cage and other safety additions. Lol I'm curious are they using the stock Ford power steering system? Or did they upgrade that too.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Yup. Since it comes with 3.0's from the factory it can run 3.0's. The rules also say they can tweak the shocks and suspension with different spring rates and valving. So they can do whatever they want with the 3.0s as long as the body of the shock is the 3.0. They can also do whatever they want with the rear leafs and shocks since the rules allow for different spring rates.

Class rules were written specifically for this truck. I haven't read through them but I'd assume it says something about using stock mounting points which is why it's probably ok.

Everything has to stay stock including mounting points. You cannot modify, bend, or relocate any brackets or hardware that has to do with the suspension, they all have to be factory mounting points.

"According to the 2016 rulebook, the class requires the Raptor to use its factory engine, unmodified down to the emissions control exhaust, and a transmission as provided by the factory. While Ford can't alter the suspension mounting and pivot points, they can swap out the stock dampers for similar but race-optimized units. Taller springs provide a bit of a lift. That's pretty much it on the dynamics side."

Last edited:

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wouldn't using aftermarket 3.0s and rear leafs still start the whole "it's not stock enough debate"? I'd really like to see the factory 2017 Raptor on the track plus the roll cage and other safety additions. Lol I'm curious are they using the stock Ford power steering system? Or did they upgrade that too.

Along with IWE's???????

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't mind the deavers or even front springs, but they should have run the stock 3.0's to give us an idea what we're working with. If they're swapping those out already, makes you wonder...

I think they are trying to say "Hey its all stock, just different spring rates and shock tuning to get that 100% offroad performance". I guess the consumer could replicate their setup pretty easily without swapping the entire shock out, just having them rebuilt. The stock 3.0 has to deal with payloads, towing, and on road manners so they cant be as aggressive as a race setup 3.0 so they are just eliminating the on road aspect of the stock 3.0.

But Im with you, make the class a 100% stock class and all you get is navi and safety gear then run your shit like it comes from the factory. If they win and completely dominate then thatll speak louder to the consumer than saying "Sure our shit is MOSTLY stock minus the $10,000+ we tossed into tuning and rebuilding our stock shocks and springs into race shocks and springs."

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I think they are trying to say "Hey its all stock, just different spring rates and shock tuning to get that 100% offroad performance". I guess the consumer could replicate their setup pretty easily without swapping the entire shock out, just having them rebuilt. The stock 3.0 has to deal with payloads, towing, and on road manners so they cant be as aggressive as a race setup 3.0 so they are just eliminating the on road aspect of the stock 3.0.

But Im with you, make the class a 100% stock class and all you get is navi and safety gear then run your shit like it comes from the factory. If they win and completely dominate then thatll speak louder to the consumer than saying "Sure our shit is MOSTLY stock minus the $10,000+ we tossed into tuning and rebuilding our stock shocks and springs into race shocks and springs."

I get what you mean, but the whole idea of the truck coming with 3.0's means they should stay. If they took the factory shocks and re-valved them, that'd be cool. But now you're saying if you want to do runs, etc. you should really still buy aftermarket 3.0's, that's kinda :supergay:

What's the point of the truck even coming with 3.0's then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superiorplumbing