BAK Roll-X Install and Review!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAKfactoryoutlet

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Fanatical Customer Support

Thanks Jrod: We stay with it till the job is done! We are fanatical with our customer support.:pepper:

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

I just installed this cover. First impression is I like the flat smooth top and easy install. It fits well and runs the same rail clamping system as just about all the covers. I got this one as I can still see out the back window when open, and open it holds less of a vertical footprint therefore when it's strapped down it doesn't sway like the G2, F1 when running rough roads but time will tell. It can touch the cab but has strategic bumpers to prevent damage.

You made a smart choice and you are gonna love your RollX just the same next year, and the year after...:big_banana_Dance:

Intricate

Reaction score
So far I am liking the cover. No issues. Water seems to stay out! Handles the rough roads well just havent jumped with it yet!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Let me tell you a funny story about a man named Morrie. Weeks back, I was speaking with Morrie about his sponsorship of the Havoc in the Hills event and working out details with him.

Toward the end of the conversation he asked me how I was liking my Roll-X. I told him I was still very happy with it, it was holding up well and remarked at how many people ask me about it.

He mentioned the Roll-X had been slightly redesigned. He went on to tell me about the various tweaks, most importantly being the tailgate edge weather strip.

That's cool, I thought, and I told him I would keep an eye out for pictures of the new cover on the forum.

Fast forward to this past week and this is where I realized I wouldn't have to settle for pictures of the new cover.

I walked downstairs Wednesday morning on my way to get my morning coffee and found a large box sitting in the lobby of my apartment building. It was a BAK Roll-X.

My initial reaction was that one of my neighbors had ordered a Roll-X. Being nosy, I checked the shipping label to see whose it was and saw my name on the box. :mfr_omg:

Still confused and caffeine deprived, I left the box and continued out to my truck. I waited a little while because it was still very early on the West Coast at that point (Morrie is out of CA) and I called Morrie to see why I had a Roll-X sitting in my lobby.

He said he just wanted me to have the "new" Roll-X and decided to sent it to me *FREE OF CHARGE*. I didn't know what to say...I never expressed any unhappiness with my "old" Roll-X so I still wondered why he felt compelled to send me another one lol.

All he asked was that I share my honest thoughts with him and the forum. So, if you're still reading that's what I will do! Now, before we get too far for the sake of 100% transparency... there is a little special treatment going on here and as such I wouldn't expect a Roll-X to show up on your doorstep. That being said, I'm not complaining and I'm happy to help Morrie out with another short write-up:

The 3 main differences that I noticed with the new cover are:

1. The bulkhead side mounting plate on the rail is a bit longer and now allows you to secure the cover with 2 bolts with locking washers and nuts. Previously, there was 1 bolt that secured with a knob.

roll-xrail_zpsacf09dd0.jpg

OLD:

DSC00766_zps5f31128a.jpg

NEW:

DSC00968_zps60de81c4.jpg

2. The exposed weather strip "lip" on the tailgate edge has been removed in lieu of an interior foam weather strip that seals against the inside of the tailgate.

OLD:

DSC00802_zps79296122.jpg

NEW:

DSC00964_zps51475cc2.jpg

DSC00969_zpsed8ce0e6.jpg

3. The slam latch catch plate has a wing nut instead of a knob for adjustment. This is probably a functional change due to the new weather strip because the knob would get in the way of the foam strip.

roll-x-rail-2_zps6fadff61.jpg

MORE:

DSC00966_zpsbf28f7f9.jpg

DSC00963_zps499dd1f1.jpg

DSC00970_zpsb9ca0dc1.jpg

Overall, the changes to the rail don't do much for me but I definitely like the look and functionality of the new tailgate weatherstripping. The change allows the cover to sit more flush to the tailgate and also allows you to open and close the tailgate without having to open the Roll-X. Thanks again Morrie, you truly are the MAN!!!

comagt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morrie is awesome! I'm still working on my review/write up. I just need to drag out the camera, granted you covered most of the photos already :) I will note, that mine is the new style, but it still has the knobs for adjustment.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Morrie is awesome! I'm still working on my review/write up. I just need to drag out the camera, granted you covered most of the photos already :) I will note, that mine is the new style, but it still has the knobs for adjustment.

:hmm: Well then maybe they just ran out of knobs the day they made mine lol.